Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

APR for Financing Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S configurator currently uses 1.99% to estimate monthly payments. While the screenshots posted in this thread show that the Model 3 configurator uses 2.74%. I was expecting to be able to get the same financing rate on the Model 3 as the Model S, but it looks like the offer for the Model 3 is 0.75% higher. I wonder why that's the case. From the lender's perspective, wouldn't a smaller loan be less risky?

Loan rates have been going up the last several months. It's possible that Tesla secured a rate for the S and X that they are still able go use, but had to open new negotiations for the 3. Another possibility is that there is probably a higher risk of default for people that are buying the 3 vs. the S or X.

Tesla subsidzes the Model S and X considerably with their partner banks. They can chalk up the losses as expenses at the end of the year vs directly discounting vehicles.

Model 3 will have zero subsidies so will have the prevailing market rate for new vehicles which currently hovers around 2.5%

• Helpful
Reactions: SilverUnicorn
At the risk of bumping an old thread back to life, I wonder if anyone with a recent Model 3 delivery date (or shortly upcoming delivery date) has stumbled upon deals that they might be willing to share regarding financing outside of Tesla.

I used Alliant for my Model S, so I'm not averse to going that route again, but the current rate there doesn't seem terribly enticing.

For the sake of argument, let's assume I have bullets credit and would be looking at a 24 or 36 month loan for something in the 55K range.

Btw, the rates went up or so I hear. Anyone financed through tesla and can confirm this rumor?
Financed my Model 3 today with Tesla. Received a 2.99% loan for 72 months ($53,000 financed). Loan provider is US Bank for my loan thru Tesla.

I looked around a bit and was seeing local bank and credit union rates around 3.45% to 3.99% with the recent rise in rates.

Last edited: