TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

April 2 website update: Did pricing go up?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by stickhog, Apr 2, 2013.

1. stickhog

stickhog Member

Before today's update, if you priced out a configuration, they always listed "Tesla Personal Delivery - $990" and "Final Inspection, Prep, and Coordination - $180" as separate line items at the end of the configuration box. After today's update, those two line items don't show up in that configuration box at all. But the final price of my configuration is exactly the same. So my first thought was that they just included that $1170 in the base price, and just didn't show the separate line items.

But, if you go to the Options & Pricing section of the website, in the fine print at the bottom of the page, it specifically says "Prices do not include Tesla Personal Delivery, Final Inspection, Prep and Coordination fee, taxes, license and title fees, or regionally required equipment, service, and charges.". So it seems to me that my pricing, which used to include that $990+$180, now no longer does, and it'll be a separate charge on top of what the configuration page shows. In essence, the price just went up by $1170 by removing two items that were included in the previous pricing (and adding them separately), while making the price on the configuration page appear the same.

Am I missing something?

2. Zextraterrestrial

0-60 in 4.2 seconds now on the 'S' front page

performance plus package too! hmmm

...oh, and yes, it appears my car is 'worth' more once again :wink:

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I don't think you're missing anything, but Tesla's website tends to be not very well vetted. Expect a couple of rounds of changes before it settles down.

4. NuclearPowered

Looks like the destination and doc fee is now included in the pricing and the reservation deposit has dropped to $2500.

5. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Excellent.

Um, OK?... does that mean they're having a shortage of reservations? I don't see why the deposit would drop; anyone buying this car needs to be able to come up with a lot of money.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I read it as two things: (1) making it available to a broader class of potential customers (i.e. shrinking a hurdle/barrier to entry) and (2) they are better off financially so they don't require the assistance in cash-on-hand that a higher deposit brought.

7. justaddsun

justaddsun Member

I also believe Elon said in the last conference call that they may do away w/ the reservation deposit altogether partly b/c of the credit card fees that Tesla had to pay. This, I guess, is halfway there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

8. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Yeah, the impression I got from Elon's comments during the earnings call about the lower reservation amount was due more to not needing the capital more than lowering the barrier to entry. Granted he didn't specifically say that but he talked more about not needing the capital.

I need to talk to my loan rep at Alliant in the next few days once this change rolls out to see how that affects their financing at 100%.

Still waiting to reserve though until the EU options introduced are available on the US Model S's...

Jeff

9. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

They probably don't need the res fee but want something to ensure that people don't just walk away from an order. 2500 is probably enough skin in the game to separate out the flakes.