Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April 2021 MYLR Original Battery Size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My long range Model Y was built in April, 2021. I believe that when new it had either a 75 kWh or 78 kWh battery (too early for the 82kWh battery). Is there any way of finding out which it was built with? The current battery capacity after 10 months and 16,500 miles is about 71.3 kWh which is either a 5% degradation (from 75kwh) or 8.6% degradation (from 78 kWh). Using the currently indicated 100% range of 299 miles (from 326 originally), that indicates a degradation of 8.3%. I'd like to know where I stand. The indicated 100% range decrease has been very linear at a little less than 3 miles per month with no sign of abating. If this keeps up (I know everyone says it won't), I'll reach the 30% degradation level (228 miles @100%) in about 25 more months or about 36 months after purchase. I've done very little SuperCharging, keep the state of charge generally between 20% and 80%, live in a mild climate (no temperature extremes), and have driven my Y gently (233 wHr/mile average). As a point of comparison, I drove my 2018 Model 3 for 53,000 miles and when I traded it in for the Model Y, it still had an indicated 100% range of 310 miles.

Reactions: jmaddr
As a point of comparison, I drove my 2018 Model 3 for 53,000 miles and when I traded it in for the Model Y, it still had an indicated 100% range of 310 miles.

There is zero chance (zero) that your 2018 had zero degradation, so it would have been a model where the range was increased after purchase due to removing some of the "locked out" battery capacity. Your current result is extremely (extremely) normal, and is also applicable to a model 3 as this 200page thread on range for model 3s will show you:

Your current car likely started with a 78kW battery, with a small percentage allocated as a buffer. Whether you have 5% or 8% degradation is immaterial to the battery warranty, but it sounds like you are aware of that. I would expect it to get to 10 -12% then slow down fairly drastically.

How did you calculate a capacity of 71.3 kWh?
On the Trip/Consumption page with consumption selected and the consumption calculation set at 30 miles, I multiplied the projected range x the average wHr/mile, then divided by the percentage of charge. For example, right now on that page, the projected range is 277 miles, the average Whr/mile is 206, and the state of charge is 80%. So, 277m x 206Wh/m =57062 Whr or 57.062 kWh. 57.062 / 0.8 = 71.327 kWh.
there are several threads in TMC that explain this better than I can.

Reactions: boulder.dude