Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April Fools!: Magic Sky Windows - Testing

Blurry_Eyed

MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761
Dec 29, 2011
OK, heard back that I have permission to talk about it in a limited way and no photos of the windows themselves....

Yes it works, and it seems to be an adaptation of the Daimler concept. The windows had to be replaced and Tesla installed various sensors inside the car to measure temperature and UV ingress; I have no idea what it all costs but I'm told that after the test they will remove the sensors and I get to keep the windows, in return I do have to keep a weather log for a couple of months (oh the hardship! :wink:)

The magic sky windows operate on a slider bar on the touch screen so you can adjust settings to your personal preference depending on light/sun conditions. The software shows it as an extra tab and it's not all finalized yet, it looks like the pano roof slider but doesn't show a side picture of the car yet. I'm waiting on approval to show a photo of the touch screen.

And yes, I believe there are a couple of other folks beta testing it in hot climates.

When you say windows, can you be any more specific what windows this would operate on? It it just the panoramic roof, or are we talking all the windows in the car? This would be sweet to have as a retro-fit upgrade. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit for this...

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009

Sweet, but am I the only one cringing at the parking job? That car is going to lower and crunch the heck outta the front bumper.

I just got a message from someone claiming to work for Tesla.
They said that the Big Announcement Tomorrow will be that all Model S already have this feature, and it will just be enabled on all cars via the next firmware update. Win win!

How's that putting money where the mouth is though? Also, then that means all Nigel got was a SW update and the temporary sensors. I'm hoping no April foolery

*edit* I dunno, I'm sensing some april foolery here...

View attachment 19351

This looks like the same picture as the "Friday" picture. The red VW looks to have been pshopped green (a color I've never seen on a VW actually). If you look close enough, the red car's reflection can be seen in the reflection of the Model S. The lip of the car is over the curb the same amount of distance as well.

BS.

Last edited:

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
I resisted the urge to post "shopped" to let it play out.

The pinkish/purplish glow of the red reflection is too hard to get rid of... if it had only been parked next to a more neutral color, you might have gotten away with it.

Then, the fact that a car manufacturer would put a project name on the side of a car is unthinkable. I know there was lettering on the Model S prototypes and betas, but that was well after things had been unwrapped a bit. Not to mention the distortion and skew of the font as applied to the picture don't match the distortion applied to the whole photograph.

- - - Updated - - -

The least believable part IMO was TEG (of all people) not being able to find the obvious keyword in the name on the side.

And yes, that too. :)

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Looks like the cat not only got out of the bag, but the beans got spilled too.

As long as the cat doesn't eat too many of the beans. That would put Tesla out of business. I've heard a few central European republics are experimenting with pet flatulence as a means of propulsion. The "KATGO" was going to be released later this year.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC