Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

April Fools: Toyota and Honda to abandon hydrogen fuel cell plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Incredulocious

LEAF → RAV4EV → Model 3 → Model Y
Mar 31, 2012
Scotts Valley, CA
Saw this over in the Short-Term TSLA Price Movements thread and thought it deserves to be called out....

In a shocking and abrupt reversal of course, the two Japanese auto giants that had previously thrown their lot in with a hydrogen future have announced a joint venture to pursue battery electric vehicle technology that is “far more likely to succeed.”

A Honda official who wished to remain anonymous stated, “Look, as always we’re a decade or two away from truly viable fuel cell vehicles, and that’s the best-case scenario. We need to take action against climate change now, and this fuel cell thing has mainly just been a marketing charade. Battery electrics are here today and if we don’t get into the game as soon as possible we will be left behind.”

A Toyota executive echoed those sentiments, adding “To be honest, I don’t know how we made it this far without recognizing our folly."
http://www.torquenews.com/2250/honda-toyota-abandon-hydrogen-fuel-cell-plans

Yeah, April Fool's... but here's hoping that some of their execs see this and get another little nudge towards coming to their senses. Yeah, I know, that won't happen until they see their sales clobbered.

Moved to off-topic? Interesting interpretation. I took this "April Fools" story to be a thinly-veiled commentary on why Toyota and Honda should abandon hydrogen and embrace pure battery electric. In other words, very much on topic.

Presumably if the author had made his argument without humor, the moderator would then consider it on topic?? The humor doesn't change the message, it just makes it a good read.

Also, sticking "April Fools" in the title is quite the spoiler. It's like renaming "The Sixth Sense" as "Dead Guy Doesn't Know He's Dead". Oh well....