Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apt Charging Flat Monthly Fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An apt i'm considering moving into for a 1-year lease has offered to allow me to charge my vehicle anytime at a rate of $50/month which comes out to $1.50/day. The apartment is located in Los Angeles, and I own a LR RWD. My commute everyday round trip is ~30 miles. Does this sound like a reasonable offer? The outlets have already been installed and are available for use.

It's a very good deal if it's within your budget, especially if your only alternative would be Supercharging. Plus you get the convenience of waking up to a fully charged car each morning, and can precondition your car while it's plugged in without worrying about draining the battery. My math is below...

If you drive enthusiastically, you're going to average 300 Wh/mi. 30 mi x 300 Wh/mi is 9 kWh per day. $1.50 per day for 9 kWh works out to $0.16 per kWh. I own my own home and pay about $0.13 per kWh. Supercharging is about $0.28 per kWh.

As others have said, sounds like a good deal. I pay something around that in additional costs on my home electric bill. I drive twice as much as you, but my electric costs are also probably half of yours (LA vs Houston). Sounds like your getting it at cost to maybe slightly below, which is as good as you could hope for.

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
An apt i'm considering moving into for a 1-year lease has offered to allow me to charge my vehicle anytime at a rate of $50/month which comes out to $1.50/day. The apartment is located in Los Angeles, and I own a LR RWD. My commute everyday round trip is ~30 miles. Does this sound like a reasonable offer? The outlets have already been installed and are available for use.
I can’t comment on the fee, but I would wonder about the service. If they are offering to “allow me to charge my vehicle anytime”, they are presumably making the same offer to others. It might be difficult to get access to an EVSE when needed if there are many BEV/PHEV renters in the building.

I would be wanting to know more about access. Having a dispute resolution method or a fixed charging time each day might be inconvenient sometimes, but it might lessen aggravation in the long run.

Unless my math is off, seems like for $1.66/day, driving 30 miles, I'm essentially paying $0.23/KWh

325 miles gives you 75KWh (full size of battery pack). Then 30 miles should equal around 7KWh used per day. 7KWh used per day for $1.66 equates to $0.23/KWh.
That's at the EPA rated range. As noted above, if your efficiency is less, your usage is higher and your cost per KWh goes down.

It's not as good of a rate as if you could have your own meter and pay the utility directly. But, it seems like a good deal to me because the more you drive, the cheaper it is to charge due to the flat rate. I know several people who live in apartments/condos and would like an electric vehicle, but don't want to deal with the hassle of charging because they can't at home.

You should also consider your non-commute driving (trips, errands, etc.) as well. It becomes a great deal if you plan to do longer weekend drives and can charge before leaving and when you get home.

Based on California electricity rates I would say they are losing a little on you. They only thing better is if a personal garage was about the same cost and you could charge for free on 110.

I drive around 900 miles per month and average about $30/month in electricity because I’m on a cheap time of use plan (.11/kWh). But if you don’t have access to a dedicated charger and cheap electricity that is certainly a very reasonable deal. I mean before I got my Tesla I was spending $70 on gas just to fill up the tank and that only got me around 300 miles. So whether you are spending $30 or $50 per month on electricity we are really talking about pennies compared to the days when we still drove dinosaur fuel cars.

That's really cheap. Pretty much if you drive over 700 miles a month, it will be less than what you will pay at supercharger and you don't ever have to wait in the car for the charge. I think my coworker got the same deal at his apartment but it was closer to $70 or $75.

In CA that’s a good deal, in most other places...it would be considered a form of assault.