Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apt Commercial Charging Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the apartment I’m living in has asked me to recommend to them a commercial charger they can install (one that allows for pay per usage). They tried working with chargepoint, but apparently chargepoint has been a pain in the ass to work with. Looking for any recommendations for commercial charging options.

Owners are not too fond of installing a meter to monitor usage so that is not an option.

the apartment I’m living in has asked me to recommend to them a commercial charger they can install (one that allows for pay per usage). They tried working with chargepoint, but apparently chargepoint has been a pain in the ass to work with. Looking for any recommendations for commercial charging options.

Owners are not too fond of installing a meter to monitor usage so that is not an option.
I hate to say it but ChargePoint is the best one out there and as you have found out that isn't saying much. Try EVgo. That is the 2nd most popular one I see around.

I don't think you understand your own question. You are wanting pay per (metered) use, but without using a meter. That's not possible.

Well, there are other companies and options if you want to set up your own, but they are all going to be pretty expensive. There is a company called Liberty that has a metering interface, which you can use several brands and models of EVSEs with. Clipper Creek has a model that can work with it like this for $2,495:
48A Level 2 EVSE CS-60 Hardwired with Liberty Plugin | ClipperCreek

And then you set up the Liberty metering system, but I don't know how much that costs, since they want you to call directly to figure out what size you need and what the cost would be:
HYDRA-R Multi-Charger Control System | Liberty Plugins

Regardless, it won't be cheap. If you are just wanting to control access, so only certain people can use it, that is much easier and cheaper, since some units have key lock functionality, so you could only give keys to the people who would be allowed to use it. Here's a Clipper Creek unit like that for $743:
HCS-30R, Ruggedized 32A L2 EVSE w/ChargeGuard Bundle | ClipperCreek, Inc.

The economics of a metered charger don't work well. The reason is that you pay extra for the meter, but all you get back is the electricity usage. It is better for them to estimate your usage ($30-$50) and then give you a dedicated parking space for that price. Then you don't pay $10 a month or $1-2k for the meter.

Reactions: brkaus
Can they do a charge station with a key? Or posted tow away and issue permits? Either one for some sort of fixed fee. Will come out way ahead IMHO.

The could put a private meter on the line to see how it’s working out. Meter can and a used meter are pretty cheap these days.

I hate to say it but ChargePoint is the best one out there and as you have found out that isn't saying much. Try EVgo. That is the 2nd most popular one I see around.

Apologies if I wasn't being clear. The owner of the apt is looking for a charger that requires people to pay (via credit card and/or app) every time they charge their vehicle (either based on KWH or a flat/hour fee). Chargepoint offers this exact service by providing charging equipment that requires payment for use, but I am looking for other companies to recommend to the owner.

Apologies if I wasn't being clear. The owner of the apt is looking for a charger that requires people to pay (via credit card and/or app) every time they charge their vehicle (either based on KWH or a flat/hour fee). Chargepoint offers this exact service by providing charging equipment that requires payment for use, but I am looking for other companies to recommend to the owner.
I don't know if the other charging networks do those kinds of individual installs then like Chargepoint does, or if they only do their own thing out at public places. Might be worth checking the other public charging companies then, like:
EVGo, Greenlots, Semacharge, Blink, etc.

There aren’t that many out there. We are just pointing out the cost of the equipment and monthly service are very high in relation to the electricity that is consumed.

other options, if possible, may work out better.

here are some of the commercial venders -
ChargePoint
EVgo
Semmaconnect

Google “commercial ev charging station”

EVgo