Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Apt Complex Dragging Feet to Install Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a brand new luxury apt building with top notch amenities. The building has only been open about 3 months.

They don’t have an EV charger. I’ve pleaded with management to suggest installing a charger as it would attract more potential tenants.

They are really dragging their feet in coming to a decision and they seem to not care. Of course I can’t force them to do anything but any suggestions or tips on getting them to install a EV charging station? There is no supercharger nearby. There are some free 6.6 kWh nearby but that would be very inconvenient. I believe it would take 16 hours to fully charge and it’s for shopper/public use 2-3 hour max anyway.

Please help me! Thanks.

I feel you.

But in the grand scheme of things I think you'll have a hard time convincing them to install the chargers. It doesn't cost a ton for them to install them and it won't cost a ton for them to run them but the benefits are hard to quantify unless they are REALLY committing to installing a LOT of chargers. Having a handful of chargers in a complex will yield marginal benefits at best. Yea, maybe it's the cherry on top for one or two potential tenants over a 3-4 year period when deciding between different apartments but that's not going to pay off for the owners.

Long story short - it's just more of a nuisance for them to take on the project and the benefits are marginal at best.

Good luck!

Get creative. Use some common sense. Remember you are not installing a charger. The nomenclature is important for those unfamiliar with EVs. Be sure you explain, its just a 220 electrical circuit, an outlet that you plug into, its not a charger, not equipment. Demonstrate the concept to them using a 110, and your MC. But 110 is not enough, hence 220.

Install your own. You can get a rebate for installing EVSE in Chicago. Is your parking space permanently assigned? If not, ask for one permanently assigned. And pick on close to the electrical infrastructure. Formal request permission to install your own. Plead your case that a private circuit insures you pay your own electrify. If they are not going to install them. If they decline, write your city council, your wardsperson, call their office. You might have to guarantee to remove it if you move out.

Contact your legislature. Illinois already has some of the most advanced EV legislation with towing and fines for ICEing. Write your representative asking them to pass a law that guarantees you can install if the building will not.

You don't need help here. Think about how it.

One more point: The last I heard, Tesla was still providing Wall Connectors for free to businesses (including apartment buildings, apparently) that want them, under its Charging Partners program. I believe they'll even provide one Clipper Creek J1772 unit for every two Tesla units installed. Thus, the apartment complex could get some free EVSEs, thus lowering their cost, under this program.

I live in a brand new luxury apt building with top notch amenities. The building has only been open about 3 months.
They don’t have an EV charger. I’ve pleaded with management to suggest installing a charger as it would attract more potential tenants.
They are really dragging their feet in coming to a decision and they seem to not care.
Of course I can’t force them to do anything but any suggestions or tips on getting them to install a EV charging station?
There is no supercharger nearby. There are some free 6.6 kWh nearby but that would be very inconvenient.
I believe it would take 16 hours to fully charge and it’s for shopper/public use 2-3 hour max anyway.
Please help me! Thanks.
Typically for larger apartments or offices buildings, electrical companies work with service companies like Plug-Share,
to install dedicated power lines and L2 chargers.

The service companies perform the maintenance and take care of the paiment rate, permit, insurance, and so on...

The landlord only contribution is to provide charging spots
for tenants and visitors.

Tesla also has a program for providing chargers for apartments, offices, and retail locations.

So may be, take the first step to look for possible options, and try to talk to someone influent at your property management.

They are really dragging their feet in coming to a decision and they seem to not care. Of course I can’t force them to do anything but any suggestions or tips on getting them to install a EV charging station? There is no supercharger nearby. There are some free 6.6 kWh nearby but that would be very inconvenient. I believe it would take 16 hours to fully charge and it’s for shopper/public use 2-3 hour max anyway.

Please help me! Thanks.

Just ask them for a 240v outlet and say you will pay the cost of the wire/install. They need to evaluate your plan to "attract tenants" and realistically the numbers don't work out yet.

Can you give more details?

Another possibility is to have Tesla instaling some "Destination Chargers."

I know they provide it to some businesses or apartments complexes.

I try to enroll, but my apartment doesn't have a dedicated website, which was requested.

That information I found via Google and I don't keep the link anywhere. It was very hard to find, but they cost 6-12k each to install.

You know on their website when the price isn't mentioned that it is expensive. Also, the economics of the charging station is that the station costs more than the electricity used, even if full time, so they aren't financed by a profit on the electricity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Watts_Up
Get an extension cord for the dryer's NEMA 14-30 connector, and run it out your window to the UMC. The landlord will say it's not allowed, but good luck having them show you exactly where in the lease that scenario is called out. :D

After a few weeks of back-and-forth, I'm confident they'll agree to install a proper EVSE. ;)