Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aptera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like Aptera is trying to make a comeback 10 years later, paging @KarenRei!

Aptera Is Back, Baby! New, Improved Electric Car Will Have 1,000 Mile Range | CleanTechnica

The efficiency is awesome, but the shape required to obtain it puts this squarely in the "weirdmobile" status for me. I'm plenty happy with my Model 3. And I can't fathom where they'd fit 100kWh worth of batteries in it. I'm thinking that the 1000 mile range is just a "what could be" scenario given the pack of a (much larger) Model S.

I noticed the Tesla connector in that video @2:55, but was confused on if that was supposed to be representative of charging in general or the Aptera in particular. That would be really interesting if it had access to the Supercharger network.

While they are taking reservations, am I missing a proposed / planned timeframe for their first deliveries? If they have said that, I’m not seeing it on their web site.

Is Aptera Using Tesla's Charging Tech: 1,000-Mile, Supercharge-Capable EV?

Saw this on insideev. Apparently this vehicle has the Tesla port (2:55). They speculate they may have access to the supercharger network. Unknown if this is a mistake or not.
Their official forums have a thread where mention that they can't talk about the port: https://www.aptera.us/forum/aptera-...-is-that-a-tesla-receptacle-plug-on-an-aptera

I can't think that that could possibly be a "mistake" - the Aptera website features the Tesla port in the photo gallery on the front page: https://www.aptera.us/?pgid=k096lhqx-0e60da80-165d-4d29-bc08-eb703e54bf05

And, here's the image itself:
d77790_e0409ba22a6042e7bf2e8422b716ef51~mv2.jpg

It could, of course, be something planned that may not make it to production - you could easily put a Tesla connector on and just use it for AC charging of a prototype, of course, without having Supercharger access. And, it looks like there's enough room in there for a CCS (maybe sideways) if they have to. But, well, the biggest reason by far to use a Tesla connector is for Supercharging, and if you're not going to Supercharge, just put a CCS on.

I noticed the Tesla connector in that video @2:55, but was confused on if that was supposed to be representative of charging in general or the Aptera in particular. That would be really interesting if it had access to the Supercharger network.

While they are taking reservations, am I missing a proposed / planned timeframe for their first deliveries? If they have said that, I’m not seeing it on their web site.
Apparently they'll tell reservation holders in early 2021 when to expect their (not actually a) car. (Not actually a car because it's a motorcycle/autocycle.) On the forums, the delivery schedule is reported as 40, 60, 25, then 100 kWh.

Also, I'll admit it: being in an apartment where getting a plug would be inconvenient and maybe not even allowed (and with DCFC downtown for occasional charging in winter), I threw in a preorder for a Paradigm+ (the earliest delivery 100 kWh FWD models). Honestly, it's closer to what I want than the Model 3 is, and if I lose my $100, oh well.

Last edited:
Fatal attraction. Chances of surviving any crash wihtout GBH will be slim, additionally the wheelbase is problematic for rollovers, non-driveable on snow. The well retired pre-institutionals have little to lose though.

There is nothing about the design format of this vehicle that will make it problematic to drive in the snow and one look at the videos of it cornering is all I need to see to know that your typical SUV will have a higher chance of roll-over. The crash-worthiness is impossible to ascertain without knowing more but I think you might be under-estimating what well-designed composites bring to the table.

My one concern is that it looks like it might need a computer controlled rudder and steering system to help with gusty cross-winds at freeway speeds. My other concern is that it's probably not viable in the marketplace as a mass-market vehicle.:(

The middle wheel may cause trouble in the snow

I don't see cross winds causing a problem, there are videos of the original Aptera driving at freeway speeds and it was fine, the new car is even better IMO

I seriously doubt the Aptera will be able to use the supercharger network, Musk has said he's open to the idea of others using the network but they need to match Teslas investment, Aptera just don't have that kind of money, but the up side is they don't really need the Superchrger network, for Aptera every charger is a supercharger, the car is so efficient its the fastest charging EV on the market, next year Aptera should try to claim the EV coast to coast record, should be pretty easy for them

Right now the Aptera is a strange weird car for the majority, WHAT THE HELL IS THAT !!! but if they can stay in production for a few years people will get used to it and IMO sales will grow

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Thought you might a look back to 2009

Co-Founder, Chris Anthony, in white dress shirt
BD7EA014-AD3A-4959-AA8D-1BDD04119C11.jpeg

D5170215-3C9B-4CAC-A7D8-8B4BDEE42085.jpeg

BEB87B50-BC16-4D12-B2BA-CABDF6935919.jpeg

Extension cord plugged in for charging back then

BEB1FF25-4DB7-4EB6-B139-937B341EFA43.jpeg

887454A0-0E7E-4183-A5C8-D2106E36792A.jpeg

Notice the brake and accelerator pedals! Just saw something similar on the latest VW ID.4 but with Pause/Play symbols instead

Last edited:
There is nothing about the design format of this vehicle that will make it problematic to drive in the snow and one look at the videos of it cornering is all I need to see to know that your typical SUV will have a higher chance of roll-over. The crash-worthiness is impossible to ascertain without knowing more but I think you might be under-estimating what well-designed composites bring to the table.

My one concern is that it looks like it might need a computer controlled rudder and steering system to help with gusty cross-winds at freeway speeds. My other concern is that it's probably not viable in the marketplace as a mass-market vehicle.:(

I'm sure its crash-worthiness will be phenomenal, much like how Smart's passenger cell is exceptional strong relative to its weight. Most crash tests are done with the vehicle being thrown against a wall/obstacle. Since max kinetic energy is dependent on the weight of the vehicle itself (this aptera being potentially lighter than a Smart), that doesn't tell us ANYTHING about how it would survive a crash with an escalade (might still survive despite the significant reverse acceleration).

But being sandwiched between two large SUV's would be non-survivable. Edit: And this is why it wouldn't sell well. Smart's at least have the advantage of being able to fit in tiny parking spaces.

There was an article back in November 2019 in Autofutures.tv about plans for the car. It shows a similar solar panel as to what we’re seeing now. Interesting, after talking or not talking about the “Tesla” charge port, the last image in the article shows the dash and I thought it looked very Model 3-like with the A/C vents in dashboard (same image as shown in the CleanTechnica article btw). Thinking maybe they are using some of Tesla’s patents? And if low volume production maybe Tesla made some deal on the charger port and equipment/SCs.

The EV You Never Have To Charge - Aptera Motors - Auto Futures

The middle wheel may cause trouble in the snow
Essentially, it'll have 1.5x the drag in deep snow of a equal front/rear track 4-wheeler (with the additional caveat that there won't be a center track in the snow removed by other passing cars, so on untreated but heavily traveled roads, the drag will be higher than 1.5x). However, it has the advantage that it has true dual motor 2WD or triple motor 3WD, as opposed to open differential single motor (1WD in practice) or dual motor (2WD in practice) Teslas.

Last edited:
Reactions: jsmay311
I seriously doubt the Aptera will be able to use the supercharger network, Musk has said he's open to the idea of others using the network but they need to match Teslas investment, Aptera just don't have that kind of money, but the up side is they don't really need the Superchrger network, for Aptera every charger is a supercharger, the car is so efficient its the fastest charging EV on the market, next year Aptera should try to claim the EV coast to coast record, should be pretty easy for them

I don’t think they have to “match” Tesla’s investments, but invest an amount that would be proportional to their usage. While that might be a daunting figure for legacy automakers who obviously would just rather let other companies spend that money, with this being a niche car, that might not be so out of reach.

I'm sure its crash-worthiness will be phenomenal, much like how Smart's passenger cell is exceptional strong relative to its weight. Most crash tests are done with the vehicle being thrown against a wall/obstacle. Since max kinetic energy is dependent on the weight of the vehicle itself (this aptera being potentially lighter than a Smart), that doesn't tell us ANYTHING about how it would survive a crash with an escalade (might still survive despite the significant reverse acceleration).

But being sandwiched between two large SUV's would be non-survivable. Edit: And this is why it wouldn't sell well. Smart's at least have the advantage of being able to fit in tiny parking spaces.
The other factor is deceleration. Even if the passenger cell is able to remain intact, that doesn't do much good if the occupants inside it pull 100G's...