Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aptera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my Prius it was only because I wanted to virtue signal.
Good thing you're being facetious since, to me, after having our EV1 ripped away from us, the Prius was (and still is) just another planet-killing gas guzzler that the antiquated ICE industry was/is trying to shove at us as they hoodwinked society into thinking it had/has environmental value.
Or to save money.
That could be since early EVs were going to have to be expensive until:
a) economies of scale improved
or
b)someone was willing to take huge losses initially.

Clearly after seeing what happened to the '90's EVs: b) wasn't going to happen so it was going to have to be the individual purchasers that would have to bear the $100K initial price tags of low-volume-manufactured automobiles. Luckily, Tesla came out with a series of $100K automobiles that nobody could argue was worth it compared with their market peers.
At that time, Aptera and others counting on the economy angle of EVs fizzled. It seemed (and most of us predicted) that not enough treehuggers were sufficiently dedicated to fork out enough money to enable them to get going. They still grouse about how Tesla vehicles are more expensive than the cheap prices they feel entitled to. I hope that, with Tesla's success steering the wall street herd in their direction, Aptera is able to make it to economically sustainable production this time. Sadly, I'm still skeptical.

Reactions: wws
love the solar roof idea. TSLA should have it as an option for top offs eg. when parked at work/airport

That's all I like though. The "car" looks goofy and makes CT look "normal"

Whether commuting to work or camping off the grid, your options are limitless with Aptera. Each vehicle can generate enough solar power for 40+ miles of free daily driving. And with the battery topped off from solar charging you can travel up to 1,000 miles on a single charge.

The average American drives less than 30 miles per day, so most Aptera owners will never have to plug their vehicle in to charge. This lessens the need for power grid improvements for EV adoption and makes Aptera the first EV that is “grid independent”.

You could almost drive the whole way from LA to Denver without charging. Or NY to Atlanta without stopping to charge.
except that it is ~15 hours of driving and the sun isn't going to stay up that long.
Plus, of course, you only get about 30 miles of range per day from solar (optimal facing). I guess you could do it in 5 days though.

By the end of May Sunrise is 5:30 am. If I park it right by 6 am it could be Solar charging.

If you carry a trailer and constantly adjust the solar panels orientation to face the sun.

Alas, most of the Aptera solar cells are horizontal, so optimum solar energy could be between 10 am and 2 pm.

solpanpoint.gif

Last edited:
If you carry a trailer and constantly adjust the solar panels orientation to face the sun.

Alas, most of the Aptera solar cells are horizontal, so optimum solar energy could be between 10 am and 2 pm.

Good point. Solar car racers and solar powered Mars Rovers tend to tip their cars toward the sun sometimes.
The rovers look for grades facing the right direction to survive the winter while the lightweight solar race cars can usually just be tipped up in the right direction.