Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aptera's relationship with Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla were to share the Supercharger infrastructure with any EV company, Aptera would probably be a prime candidate. I think Elon recognizes potential cool EV tech when he sees it and they do not currently have competing models. As long as Aptera throws a bone Tesla's way to help build out the Supercharger infrastructure, it might happen. Side note, I really like Aptera's stance on "Right to Repair" hope it does not change.

They won't have supercharger access, and actually they don't really need it, almost any charger is a supercharger for Aptera

Aptera is NOT vaporware, they will deliver cars by the end of the year

You don't if Aptera will have supercharger access.

They have shown the Paradigm with a Tesla connector.

In rendered images they show Tesla Superchargers reflected in the mirrors.

Aptera themselves refuses to answer the question directly.

That tells me they are negotiating for access.

The batteries are 25 kWh, 40 kWh, 60 kWh and 100 kWh. So the bigger batteries could certainly use the Supercharger Network.

Rendered images or even prototypes don't mean much, Aptera like anyone with an interest in EVs are Tesla fans

Musk has always said he is open to others using the Supercharger network but of course it all depends on the terms

If you have 1000 miles of range then IMO you need less chargers than other cars, and Aptera is so efficient normal chargers are effectively superchargers

As it is now, the Supercharger network is a real selling point for Tesla, letting competitors have access may not be a good idea, for example Porsche would sell more Taycans if they could use Teslas network

I hope they do produce something this time. I followed them for years the first time around. I watched them make promise after promise, taking people's deposit money, then ultimately closing up shop and crushing the unfinished chassis that they had left with a forklift. What a jerk move!

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I hope they do produce something this time. I followed them for years the first time around. I watched them make promise after promise, taking people's deposit money, then ultimately closing up shop and crushing the unfinished chassis that they had left with a forklift. What a jerk move!

Hang on a minute, for a start people got their deposit money back, Steve Fambro and Chris Anthony were pushed out of Aptera and thats when the problems started, it wasn't Steve or Chris who crushed the cars with a forklift

Steve and Chris won't let the same thing happen again, no idiots from Detroit will be involved this time around, if they can get the car on the road and stay in business for a few years, Aptera will do well IMO

You don't if Aptera will have supercharger access.

They have shown the Paradigm with a Tesla connector.

In rendered images they show Tesla Superchargers reflected in the mirrors.

Aptera themselves refuses to answer the question directly.

That tells me they are negotiating for access.

The batteries are 25 kWh, 40 kWh, 60 kWh and 100 kWh. So the bigger batteries could certainly use the Supercharger Network.
A 100KWH battery could certainly take advantage of DC fast charge rates. The battery in the 1000 mile Aptera would probably weigh around half of the total vehicle. It has to be a big challenge to pack 100 KWH of battery capacity into the Aptera roadster!

Rendered images or even prototypes don't mean much, Aptera like anyone with an interest in EVs are Tesla fans

Musk has always said he is open to others using the Supercharger network but of course it all depends on the terms

If you have 1000 miles of range then IMO you need less chargers than other cars, and Aptera is so efficient normal chargers are effectively superchargers

As it is now, the Supercharger network is a real selling point for Tesla, letting competitors have access may not be a good idea, for example Porsche would sell more Taycans if they could use Teslas network

Rendered images plus their refusal to answer the question of whether they will have access to the Supercharger Network certainly means something.

Aptera is not a direct competitor like Porsche.

Tesla giving Aptera access to the Supercharger Network proves the Network is not a walled of garden and Tesla is not trying to monopolize fast charging.

I think it means they would love Supercharger access but so far Tesla haven't agreed or even given them an answer

I've been watching Aptera pretty closely, they are open about their plans and they answer almost every technical question people ask them, but they also admit that they still have some things questions that they just can't answer right now

Maybe Sandy Monro asked Elon about it when they met recently

I'm not against the idea, I'd love to see it happen

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Hang on a minute, for a start people got their deposit money back, Steve Fambro and Chris Anthony were pushed out of Aptera and thats when the problems started, it wasn't Steve or Chris who crushed the cars with a forklift

Steve and Chris won't let the same thing happen again, no idiots from Detroit will be involved this time around, if they can get the car on the road and stay in business for a few years, Aptera will do well IMO
Doesn't change what happened. I really do hope it works this time, honestly.