Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arachnid wheel spacers - size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been solved, but I searched and found several different answers.

Is there a consensus as to the minimum size wheel spacer required for the arachnids to ensure the studs don't rub the back of the wheels when the spacers are mounted?

I was going to go with 20mm front and 18mm rear from motorsport-tech, Type 3 spacers.

Any input from those with spacers and arachnids would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello

I know your post is old but I have the motorsport-tech type 3 adapters 20mm on my old Turbine wheels on my P90D but now I have a P100D with the black Arachnid wheels and found the space is not enough behind the wheel for the 20mm spacers. Did you have the same problem or did you find a solution to spacers that you bought?

Thanks
John

Hello

I know your post is old but I have the motorsport-tech type 3 adapters 20mm on my old Turbine wheels on my P90D but now I have a P100D with the black Arachnid wheels and found the space is not enough behind the wheel for the 20mm spacers. Did you have the same problem or did you find a solution to spacers that you bought?

Thanks
John

He went with 20mm spacers and shaved the tips on 2 of the 5 studs at each corner (without removing any of the thread). I know this because I bought his setup and discussed installation with him. I haven't installed the spacers myself, but I may not need to take this step on mine. After looking at some videos, it appears the lug design is different on a newer Model S in comparison to prior years, and mine is a 2015. The next time I have a wheel off I'll take a look.

Reactions: Stirthepot
Chris is correct.

Just tape off the threads and cut the nipple off. Takes 5 min per wheel with a dremel and a cut off disc. And since all the thread remains there is no safety/strength issue.

The car looks so much better with the spacers. Don’t hesitate, you’ll love it when done

Reactions: cellphonechris
I know this topic has been kind of beaten to death, but I just wanted to confirm/summarize since I've been researching for the past 3 weeks on spacers for a 2017 Model S with the staggered Arachnids.

Post #52 says 22mm front and 15mm rear (post #40 says no rubbing but stock studs may be too long).
Black chrome arachnid wheels installed with spacers

Post #6 says 25mm front and 20mm rear (front rubs)
MS P85D wheel spacers?

Last post says 20mm all around (front rubs)
Wheel spacers

Post #12 says 22mm front and 18mm rear (front rubs)
MS P85D wheel spacers?

Post #23 and #24 say slight rubbing in front with 25mm or 20mm but Post #40 says no rubbing?
MS P85D wheel spacers?

So it seems like no matter what size spacers, there will be rubbing in the front?

Front spacers can be anywhere from 20mm to 25mm and rears can be anywhere from 15mm to 20mm but you will have to shave the tips of the studs (for clearance purposes) if you go for any spacer size less than 18mm.

Do I have the gist of all of this?

Thanks in advance.

Yep.. 20's all around. It only rubs when turning the wheel in reverse. Its getting annoying. I think someone mentioned heating/bending the plastic wheel housing in a thread (trying to look for it to see if it works).

I got my 20mm spacers professionally installed at 503 Motoring in Portland, OR while getting my calipers painted. Installed on 21 inch staggered turbines. They mentioned something about being able to adjust the wheel well on the earlier Model S (before the refresh) but couldn’t get anything adjusted on mine to prevent rubbing. I had provided them with the adaptec spacers...they offered to remove them at any point if I didn’t like them. Not sure the reasoning behind it, but if you have a pre-refresh maybe there’s hope?

For the first few months the rubbing bugged me, however I got pretty good at changing my angles while backing up to avoid it (and turning the wheel the opposite direction while still going forward to avoid a full torque in reverse). I’m completely fine with it now. Unless someone else drives my car and I have to let them know.

Lastly, how do you like the look of the 20mm spacers? From some angles they look perfect, yet from others I feel the wheels are pushed out a tad too far imo (especially the rear). I’d be happier with 15’s, but what I’ve read on the forms is they don’t fit.

I LOVE the way the 20's look with the lowering links.

Also - I used a wire brush on the end of my grinder today. Shaved off a few mm of the front wheel well. 95% of my rubbing is gone (and the remaining is a very quiet rubbing). Very happy with the results!!

Reactions: GoBeavs