Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arachnid wheels - some interesting info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I planned on selling mins but bow im not so sure.

Will these wheels have the same iissues as the 21" turbines? Such as going flat easily on potholes, etc.

Any reason they will be safer? I cant "upgrade" the wheels knowing id be increasing the chance of a blowout. Seems more like a performance downgrade.

@Buddy I think only time will truly tell. However since they are forged, vs. cast (turbines), I think they will be stronger! ... strong enough? Time will tell.

Just my inexperienced opinion here but I don't think the 21" Turbines were too weak. The Arachnid's look like there is less material so a manufacturing process change (aka forging) was required to give it the same strength and load capacity as the cast Turbines.

The problem with the tires is the shorter sidewall that could cause tire damage. That can't be helped (but I would recommend the full 45 PSI inflation to give the sidewalls a fighting chance). As for stronger forged rims that resist pothole damage, that remains to be seen. A sharp corner can ding most hardened materials so I would not rely on that.

Best to be vigilant and avoid all the potholes if you can. Barring that, switch to the 19". As a compromise, my winters are 20" Turbines and have worked out pretty well so far....

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
I planned on selling mins but bow im not so sure.

Will these wheels have the same iissues as the 21" turbines? Such as going flat easily on potholes, etc.

Any reason they will be safer? I cant "upgrade" the wheels knowing id be increasing the chance of a blowout. Seems more like a performance downgrade.
It has really nothing to do with the wheels themselves, just the simple fact that larger diameter wheels typically have lower profile tires. Low profile tires have short sidewalls and those don't really like potholes very much. Just the nature of the beast with larger diameter wheels. If you want to reduce possibility of flats, stick with the 19" wheels with tires that have larger sidewalls.