Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arbitration: 90d rapid battery degradation

evalst2018

Dec 3, 2018
san diego
All,

I have a date set for my arbitration with Tesla. I have had 50 miles degradation on a version 1 90d in 60k miles. 16% degradation in total. In real-world driving, I get about 175 miles @80% charge, 280 watts/mi. Car is advertised for 294 "ideal miles".

If anyone has any advice or guidance from their arbitration experience please share.
90deg2.png

evalst2018

Dec 3, 2018
san diego
Can you please share the details... what car, degradation %, miles, , lawsuit outcome ( buyback/change battery)?

Some folks with less degrdation filed a complaint with dca.ca.gov...and without arbritration got a new battery and $10k reimbursed on ludicrous ( car was not doing the advertised 2.6)

ACA Man

Jul 19, 2017
Rancho Cucamonga
2014 MS60 bought as CPO.

Degradation is 154/208 which is 26%.

Arbitrators were not knowledgeable enough to see Tesla's tricks.

Lawsuit pending court date.

Do you have any info on the other people you mentioned?

evalst2018

Dec 3, 2018
san diego
2014 MS60 bought as CPO.

Degradation is 154/208 which is 26%.

Arbitrators were not knowledgeable enough to see Tesla's tricks.

Lawsuit pending court date.

Do you have any info on the other people you mentioned?
The other folks filed with CDSP, bought new p90d w/lud...got battery replacement + $10k for lud. Tesla settled before even going to arbitration.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
All,

I have a date set for my arbitration with Tesla. I have had 50 miles degradation on a version 1 90d in 60k miles. 16% degradation in total. In real-world driving, I get about 175 miles @80% charge, 280 watts/mi. Car is advertised for 294 "ideal miles".

If anyone has any advice or guidance from their arbitration experience please share.

My advice is that if it is really dropping as quickly as your graph shows is to just continue driving it and it will likely fail in the next few months and then Tesla will replace it. (i.e Your time going through arbitration is likely a waste and won't get you anywhere.)

Really 16% after ~3 years isn't horrible, but it is significantly more than average. (I don't think there is a single EV manufacturer that would replace a battery with only 16% degradation. Most warranties are in the 30-40% range.)

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
All,

I'm pretty sure that the car's range isn't rated for "real world" range. It's rated for EPA range. That can be a big difference.
Are you ever charging to 90%+? That will make a difference.

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty sure that the car's range isn't rated for "real world" range. It's rated for EPA range. That can be a big difference.
Are you ever charging to 90%+? That will make a difference.

Nonsense. SoC only matters if it's prolonged. Rated range is realistic for typical conditions. It's purely math. Weather, driving habits and wheel size make a difference but OPs post assumes all being equal the car's battery is losing capacity.

dannycamps

Apr 8, 2019
Northeast USA
I was originally thinking that you may be able to get them on false advertising as they are listing a product with a false range value but they cover themselves with the blanket statement (bold added by me):

"Figures based on testing new vehicles to EPA standards. Vehicle range may change depending on battery age and condition, vehicle configuration, driving style, environmental and climate change."

By that logic, they can sell a used car that gets a max of 100 miles at 100% and be in the clear because they don't have any guarantee for a % of range loss in the S and X.

If they were being truly ethical, they would either post the car's actual range at 100% or just show a photo of it for used cars.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC