Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arbitration buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try to get in touch with the higher ups , if you truly have a bad car be polite ,explain it all and ask for a buyback. I was able to negotiate a fair deal on a bad car without any lawyers or ugly mess. New S is much much better . Not perfect but getting there.

How did you find "higher ups". Thus far I have been unable to get anyone beyond my local service center.

I escalated the issue for executive review under my online account but feel that went into a black hole.

Reactions: GreenT
I think mxwing is correct, it’s virtually silent on the internet regarding the process. With the problems some people have experienced, I find it hard to believe that no one has used it. If more people utilize it, perhaps they will get their act together and start acting better.

I don’t want to say too much about it until everything is over, but read your manual and know your rights.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
From time to time you see posts that people have had their Tesla bought back, so I guess that, like most manufacturere they occasionally need to take back a car.

No those are essentially being treated like a trade in because tesla buy the car back to prevent the title being lemoned and they can sell it as cpo cars after. I am curious to see if the car comes back under arbitration are branded as lemon or if they will be treated the same as a trade in used car

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It is silent on the internet because every state can have different rules for buy backs. The Federal code is one thing, but the individual state can have their own policies.

I had one of my Vipers bought back via California Lemon Law. They tried, unsuccessfully 5 times to fix the problem. The car actually caught fire at the dealership when they were returning it ot me after a repair. After the buy back, I spoke to the mechanic that ended up with it, and he found out it was a simple defective 02 sensor. Replace that and everything worked great afterwords.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokerDon
We got the, "too bad - sorry - bye" routine. So we used swappa lease to get out just ½ way thru our 3yr term. Now there are multiple peeps / families that see these 'issues'. One would think Tesla would rather get all the significant issues X's (but not bad enough to merrit Lemon Laws) out of circulation - maybe just use them for loners, rather than have multiple families / owners disappointed (even over the same vehicle) and then have multiple owners leary to ever get another.

No those are essentially being treated like a trade in because tesla buy the car back to prevent the title being lemoned and they can sell it as cpo cars after. I am curious to see if the car comes back under arbitration are branded as lemon or if they will be treated the same as a trade in used car

FYI in California, even a voluntary manufacturer buyback results in a lemon title. This is specifically to protect the consumer against the voluntary buyback process. My experience with BMW is that they aggressively tried to avoid offering a buyback, until it looks like a state arbitration case isn't going to go their way. Then they'll offer a buyback.

Mine did not have a NDA, was voluntary from the manufacturer, and worked out well for me. It took a whopping 8 months for the title to show up as lemon on CarFax, by which time I saw it got sold overseas to a private owner.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
I had an issue with my A pillar on my first model S (search for cracked a pillar Tesla) and Tesla resolves it fairly with me and now I have different model s that is perfectly fine. That was 2 years ago but I feel they treated me very fairly along the way and the experience actually reinforced my believe that they are a different in a better way car mfg.

I just returned my Model X to Tesla yesterday as a result of a buyback. Happy to answer any questions that you might have.

The entire process wasn't fun at all (and severely tarnished my view of Tesla after being loyal to the brand since 2012 when I reserved my first Model S). Tesla ignored me every step of the way until they got notice from the court that a hearing was going to be scheduled, then they seemed to want to do everything to make the case go away.

How did you find "higher ups". Thus far I have been unable to get anyone beyond my local service center.

I escalated the issue for executive review under my online account but feel that went into a black hole.

I had the same issue. The service advisor mentioned that he is my only point of contact for the issue. He mentioned that he sent the case to the Business Resolutions Team, but they weren't responding to him after several emails and calls.

When I escalated the issue for executive review, I got an email response two days later that said that the business resolutions team was aware of the case and they were reviewing all of the details. The executive review person also mentioned that the business resolutions team is not a customer facing team so my service advisor was truly my sole point of contact.

I didn't receive a response from the business resolutions team for about another month and a half and only heard from the service advisor when I initiated contact.

Technically your svc ctr mgr will be your point of contact , biz resolutions will work a buyback price and agreement behind the scenes and convey this to you either thru the svc mgr or regional mgr (unlikely). First step would be to request a buyback and demand for biz res to get involved and run financials for the buyback. Granted both sides feel the car is a bad one and come to a buyback agreement , i was patient , much more than i should of been with my first S , in the end it worked out. Both sides lost money , but it was “fair” given the time and mileage i put on the first S. My new S is much much better , still not perfect but a couple issues such as crazy wind noise from the front windshield top area, a odd grinding/ creeking noise from the front left wheel area under full acceleration. These two issues will probally be resolved soon and are minor in comparison to my first S.

What issues are you having? And no i did not sign a NDA nor was i asked to.

• Informative
FYI in California, even a voluntary manufacturer buyback results in a lemon title. This is specifically to protect the consumer against the voluntary buyback process. My experience with BMW is that they aggressively tried to avoid offering a buyback, until it looks like a state arbitration case isn't going to go their way. Then they'll offer a buyback.

Mine did not have a NDA, was voluntary from the manufacturer, and worked out well for me. It took a whopping 8 months for the title to show up as lemon on CarFax, by which time I saw it got sold overseas to a private owner.

Was the buyback on the Tesla? We are seeing people having their car bought back and be treated like trade ins. It will pop up as a CPO car eventually.