Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arcade Mode On Mcu1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love what Tesla is doing with Arcade mode (or arcade app or whatever its called). I think it opens up cool partnerships and potentially encourages developers to find cool new ways to use the screen and controls inside the car.

Has there been any word though if this is coming to cars with MCU1?

They made it obvious in the commercial/announcement that it was kind of designed for the Model 3, and I have no doubt that cars with MCU2 can handle these games just fine. I worry just a little bit though about the performance on the older MCU though if the games start to get more advanced than atari level.

MCU1 is nVidia Tegra circa 2011. It's a miracle that it can even do what it does now.

Come on. It's not a 386/sx processor... Even a 2011 Tegra should be able to stream music cleanly, display a moving map, and have a usable browser. It's the buggy code complete with memory leaks, improper timeslicing, etc. that weakens it.

It is not doing anything today that it wasn't doing in 2011 with the exception of the Atari games... And those were all written in the late 1970's and early 1980's for processors that were less than 1/100th of 1% the power of the Tegra.

Now the new racing game featured looks to be much more advanced, so I'll give that one a pass on the Tegra.

Come on. It's not a 386/sx processor... Even a 2011 Tegra should be able to stream music cleanly, display a moving map, and have a usable browser. It's the buggy code complete with memory leaks, improper timeslicing, etc. that weakens it.

It is not doing anything today that it wasn't doing in 2011 with the exception of the Atari games... And those were all written in the late 1970's and early 1980's for processors that were less than 1/100th of 1% the power of the Tegra.

Now the new racing game featured looks to be much more advanced, so I'll give that one a pass on the Tegra.

I agree that the 2011 hardware has way more power than available in 1980’s. But it is also multitasking with many other things like downloading traffic in the background. Could Tesla rewrite the Arcade so it suspends all that and devotes the resources to the games? Of course. But it is an effort that only seems to affect MCU1 owners (like me). Personally I would rather they spend the time working on FSD features than yet another game I won’t be playing.

Reactions: PrGrPa and ahkahn
I agree that the 2011 hardware has way more power than available in 1980’s. But it is also multitasking with many other things like downloading traffic in the background. Could Tesla rewrite the Arcade so it suspends all that and devotes the resources to the games? Of course. But it is an effort that only seems to affect MCU1 owners (like me). Personally I would rather they spend the time working on FSD features than yet another game I won’t be playing.
That's the problem they wont