Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arcade Mode On Mcu1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car can do everything it could when it was new right? Maybe even a few new things?

Teslas updating new features is cool but it wont be the latest and greatest forever. No tech product is.
The problem with Tesla is they update their cars on random cycles with no prior notice. So the car you bought one day becomes last gen the very next day even though you paid full price. This happened to me.

Every other auto maker offers transparency on upgrades because cards depreciate quickly. This is my one major gripe with Tesla. I love that they upgrade, but they shouldn't be selling prior gen cars at full price when a meaningful update is about to be launched.

The problem with Tesla is they update their cars on random cycles with no prior notice. So the car you bought one day becomes last gen the very next day even though you paid full price. This happened to me.

Every other auto maker offers transparency on upgrades because cards depreciate quickly. This is my one major gripe with Tesla. I love that they upgrade, but they shouldn't be selling prior gen cars at full price when a meaningful update is about to be launched.

It’s a great model as you buy. I got “uncorked” and some other features after I bought but before it was built. But it stinks when you miss the following upgrade. I missed AP2.5 by weeks. But so it goes with Tech. Ever bought a TV or phone only to have the replacement ship 2 months later with better features for less money?

Reactions: ahkahn
It’s a great model as you buy. I got “uncorked” and some other features after I bought but before it was built. But it stinks when you miss the following upgrade. I missed AP2.5 by weeks. But so it goes with Tech. Ever bought a TV or phone only to have the replacement ship 2 months later with better features for less money?

Your AP2.0 will be upgraded to FSD Computer if you purchased FSD some time this year.

The logic that Tesla should somehow pay to upgrade drovers cars to current tech on a car they sold 2 years ago baffles me

I think you're confused. No one is asking for a free upgrade. Elon mentioned that we will be able to upgrade through some sort of program similar to that of 3G vs LTE for a cost.. Lots of threads on TMC regarding this, but I'm guessing a $3K upgrade fee to replace the MCU will be about right and for me it's worth it for both my Model S and Model X, since to replace it out of warranty is already $2400 (see image below).

Source = Elon Musk on Twitter

MCU1 Replacement Costs.PNG

Reactions: StarLog
it is like asking Apple to make iPhone 5 as fast as iPhone XS... old hardware, since telsa cars are big ipads, that is how I see it

Tehnically with iOS 12 Apple did just that. Take a look at the blogs, and you'll see major performance updates for an iPhone 5 and 5S with iOS 12. While it will never be as fast as the XS, improvements were very noticeable.

But this is not about a free update, this is about giving us access to the retrofit program for MCU/2 for a price. Similar to that of the 3G to LTE program for the original Model S.

No one is expecting this for free.

See by above post.

Reactions: StarLog
AP2.x has phantom braking, AP3 will introduce Phantom Swerving and DUI Simulation Mode.

This whole Phantom Braking has been explained on the internet and on some of the TMC posts here as the inability to 100% identify a bridge+shadow and a 18 wheeler crossing your path in front of you. I don't have the links handy, but I have to guess that as there's no AI training, we'll see the accuracy increase and less Phantom Braking.

I would wish that Phil or Rick would take a MCU2 and try to make it work on the MCU1 chassis.
Then share with Tesla who apparently does not have the time to make it work.

I would pay Phil or Rick to do this install also.

Reactions: zanary
I would wish that Phil or Rick would take a MCU2 and try to make it work on the MCU1 chassis.
Then share with Tesla who apparently does not have the time to make it work.

I would pay Phil or Rick to do this install also.
Not necessary if we are to believe Elon who says that one day we'll see a MCU/1 to MCU/2 upgrade kit available... Should be about the same price as a replacement MCU/1 out of warranty, so around $2400. Who really knows if this includes the faster Wifi and LTE connection with the addition 5.x band, or just the actual MCU/2. only.