Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Arcadia Power Community Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
So I've been eyeing Arcadia Power's Community Solar program for a couple of years now. I was finally ready to take the plunge, but their account creation process gives me pause. They also have a Wind Energy program and the sign up process seems to be directlng people heavily to the Wind Energy program which I personally have no interest in. You have to set up billing just to create an account with Arcadia, and Arcadia talks about how your power company will send bill to Arcadia?

On top of this, I used to be able to find info on what solar installations Arcadia is working on (in relation to their Community Solar program), but I'm not seeing that when I look for it today, and that bothers me.

Arcadia seemed legit to me, but this whole process is setting off some red lights on my bullcrap detector.

Anyone able to provide any insights on Arcadia?

Are there other legitimate ways to invest in the creation of solar power facilities across the United States? I have the money. I just need to figure out how to funnel it to a real solution and not a snake oil sales outlet. Is Arcadia a real solution? Or is that money just going into some executive's pocket?

Community Solar and Renewable Energy Certificates are not the same thing. True Community Solar actually results in more "steel in the ground". When I have no more roof space I am going to put solar on my sister's house. I have a preference for tangible assets.

I separately expressed my concerns to Arcadia to see what their response would be. They claim I have to be enrolled in their bill pay system, where the customer has to pay through Arcadia as an intermediary and Arcadia pays the power company. This is not how it used to be sold -- I'm certain a year or two ago Arcadia just sent a small payment to your power company for the Community Solar returns and you could just pay your power bill like normal.

In addition, they told me that I cannot participate in their bill pay program because I already have rooftop solar. This is curious. My power company, KCP&L, also has a Solar Subscription service that I do not qualify for because I have rooftop solar. What the hell? I don't understand this, it should make zero difference whether or not I have rooftop solar (note that my rooftop solar only covers about 1/3 of my electricity use).

At any rate, I am withdrawing what support I was previously giving to Arcadia (like providing links to them as an option on my website) based on these latest updates and am looking for new investment opportunities in solar power.

Here is the reply I sent them:

I am unsatisfied with your offerings. Reasons detailed below. You can deactivate/remove my account. I will seek other solar investment opportunities.

Thank you,

<signed>

Reasons for rejecting Arcadia as a Solar Power investment partner:

1) Having to participate in your Bill Pay program where Arcadia acts as an intermediary is undesirable. There is no need for it. If you want to refund monthly for energy generation you can simply credit my power company account, or send me a refund check on a yearly or semi-yearly basis. Even offering no refund at all (just allowing me to donate towards solar build out) would be preferable to having to pay my power bill through Arcadia.

2) You stated I don't qualify due to having rooftop solar. This seems to be an entirely arbitrary restriction. I realize this could be something you are required to do due to some law or regulation, but whatever the case, it is an active attempt to not allow the customer to invest in solar. If you really want my money, why do you refuse to take it? Explaining this might be helpful to build trust with perspective customers you reject.

Community Solar and Renewable Energy Certificates are not the same thing. True Community Solar actually results in more "steel in the ground". When I have no more roof space I am going to put solar on my sister's house. I have a preference for tangible assets.
This is what I'm looking for. Steel in the ground. Too often environmental dollars and good will don't actually get anything built. I want my money actually building something.

Reactions: nwdiver
I separately expressed my concerns to Arcadia to see what their response would be. They claim I have to be enrolled in their bill pay system, where the customer has to pay through Arcadia as an intermediary and Arcadia pays the power company. This is not how it used to be sold -- I'm certain a year or two ago Arcadia just sent a small payment to your power company for the Community Solar returns and you could just pay your power bill like normal.

In addition, they told me that I cannot participate in their bill pay program because I already have rooftop solar. This is curious. My power company, KCP&L, also has a Solar Subscription service that I do not qualify for because I have rooftop solar. What the hell? I don't understand this, it should make zero difference whether or not I have rooftop solar (note that my rooftop solar only covers about 1/3 of my electricity use).

At any rate, I am withdrawing what support I was previously giving to Arcadia (like providing links to them as an option on my website) based on these latest updates and am looking for new investment opportunities in solar power.

Here is the reply I sent them:

I am unsatisfied with your offerings. Reasons detailed below. You can deactivate/remove my account. I will seek other solar investment opportunities.

Thank you,

<signed>

Reasons for rejecting Arcadia as a Solar Power investment partner:

1) Having to participate in your Bill Pay program where Arcadia acts as an intermediary is undesirable. There is no need for it. If you want to refund monthly for energy generation you can simply credit my power company account, or send me a refund check on a yearly or semi-yearly basis. Even offering no refund at all (just allowing me to donate towards solar build out) would be preferable to having to pay my power bill through Arcadia.

2) You stated I don't qualify due to having rooftop solar. This seems to be an entirely arbitrary restriction. I realize this could be something you are required to do due to some law or regulation, but whatever the case, it is an active attempt to not allow the customer to invest in solar. If you really want my money, why do you refuse to take it? Explaining this might be helpful to build trust with perspective customers you reject.

I have been using them for the past 6 months for the "feel good" 50% solar/wind but I'm curious what they get by being an intermediary bill pay.

Anyone thinking about doing it please PM me