Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are 90 batteries limited on supercharging like the 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have an S85 and the supercharging speed is limited. We are considering a second model S and are trying to pick between an 85D and a 90D.

I know the 85D is still an 85 so the supercharging speed will be limited due to the recent updates by Tesla. Pretty shady but it is what it is. Does this also apply to the 90 batteries?

It’s not my MAIN concern. These cars I’m looking at have taken the majority of their depreciation. I travel a LOT so I don’t want to pay for supercharging. I would say the majority of my charging is off super chargers. I also prefer the look and feel of the Model S.

Do you mean nerfed like the 85 that barely do 60/70kW max, or about 90kW max, like reported here:
Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update

Note: those graphs are from last year, I hope they refresh them some day. Would allow confirmation of actual speeds.
My 2015 P90D maxed out at 90, but only for a few minutes, it would quickly drop into the low 80s and then the 70s.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
I drove my 85D and a P90D back to back on a road trip earlier this year. Same superchargers but the 90 did charge at a higher rate longer. It seems to be up in the air as to how those packs are affected, not as clear cut as the 85 packs (all got whacked).

If you plan on supercharging much at all (more than 1-2x per month) you should probably avoid all packs that aren't 100. I'm confident even the 100 pack will get charge limited at some point. Personally I wouldn't recommend a used S or X at all as a highway cruiser. The 3 & Y obviously have better battery tech so they would be a better solution if you plan on SC'ing much.

My 90D from December 2015 still gets over 100kW when charging, more or less follows the 120-SOC formula except it seems more like 140-SOC lately. 103,000 km on it so far, still shows 440km rated range at 100% charge and I come close to that driving at 110km/h on the highway. If I drove it the way the EPA test works it'd probably go a little further than that.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Mine routinely gets 145k on a Supercharger. They're not all limited... I think only the early battery versions.

I have a 2017 90D 4200 (yes 42 hundred) miles with V3 Battery. Last supercharged about two weeks ago in Virginia. When I was at about 35% I saw 150kw for a few mins, then started to gradually taper. Last December I supercharged at about 10% and saw it hit over the 150kw for awhile.

• Informative
Reactions: ahkahn
I have a 2017 90D 4200 (yes 42 hundred) miles with V3 Battery. Last supercharged about two weeks ago in Virginia. When I was at about 35% I saw 150kw for a few mins, then started to gradually taper. Last December I supercharged at about 10% and saw it hit over the 150kw for awhile.

Yep - that's pretty much how mine works, as well.

4200 miles on a 2017?!?! Wow... was it in a museum?!?!

Even my 75D hits 140s. It's only 350vdc. They really hate the older batteries.
It's not really hate, they're afraid of more fires and don't want to recall the ones that are in danger. Every update aimed at older cars for the last year has been all about reducing pack temperatures. This is going to happen to every Tesla battery eventually, if they had a hardware solution they would have done something other than making Teslas worse.

Reactions: InternetDude
Yep - that's pretty much how mine works, as well.

4200 miles on a 2017?!?! Wow... was it in a museum?!?!

Was an inventory car found for me by a client adviser. Has 1200 miles at time of purchase. Wasn’t on the Tesla website yet and had never been titled so sold as new. New Tesla warranty Coverage. Believe it was a demo but not sure. Still had new car smell when I got it. Brand new condition. Marked down significantly from the included sticker.

Was an inventory car found for me by a client adviser. Has 1200 miles at time of purchase. Wasn’t on the Tesla website yet and had never been titled so sold as new. New Tesla warranty Coverage. Believe it was a demo but not sure. Still had new car smell when I got it. Brand new condition. Marked down significantly from the included sticker.

Wow that's impressive. When did you actually get it?