Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are 90 batteries limited on supercharging like the 85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently charged in Vegas V3 Supercharger. Mine is 2016 S75 I got 116kW speed of charging. Is it normal?

I am superchargeing every week once to 90% and run for all a week since 10 months. I hope its ok?

Attachments

• 20200110_065247.jpg
    20200110_065247.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 76
I recently charged in Vegas V3 Supercharger. Mine is 2016 S75 I got 116kW speed of charging. Is it normal?

I am superchargeing every week once to 90% and run for all a week since 10 months. I hope its ok?

Supercharging places more long term strain on the (expensive) battery pack. Per Tesla, Supercharging was designed primarily for use during road trips/to be able to take long trips without fear of not having a place to charge as quickly as possible. Wasn't designed for ongoing regular use.

What's recommended is to charge at home using either 120v or 240v. Slower, but less voltage and much less potential negative impact to the battery. And the slowness typically doesnt matter if you charge overnight while you sleep/while many areas have much lower KW rates. Also, while Tesla says 90% is fine, from a pure battery tech aspect, 80% is better unless you really need the 90%. Since Im working from home now, I charge to 70% and 4-5 days later again when I get down to ~30%.

Also, if you dont have a place to charge at home/work, and once per week supercharging is your only option, then you have to do what you have to do. It's certainly not the end of the world.

Excessive DC Charging Of Tesla Model S, X Leads To Permanently Reduced Charge Rate

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Last edited: