Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all high end window tint films about the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to get my 3’s window tinted. I called around for quotes from several shops that are all within a few dollars of each other. The shops use different films by major manufacturers, Suntek, Llumar, etc. Assuming I am considering the top of the line film each manufacturer makes my gut feel is that they are all roughly equivalent good products and that this really comes down to which installer I like. Am I reading this wrong? I know that some of the manufacturers frequent this board so I’d welcome their insight.

Hi woodguyatl,

If you'd asked if all window films were the same my response would be different - but since you have dialed in on higher end films then I assume you are looking for a particular trait - shade/performance? Once you dial in on higher end films - speaking for SunTek our CeramicIR - it's all about performance. CeramicIR gives you the >99% UV rejection like many of our films, but you get the added advantage of increased IR rejection. IR is the heat that you feel inside your vehicle.

You're right, you will find similar performance numbers from many film lines, so then the installer/price does come into play. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'll help answer if I can!

Hi woodguyatl,

If you'd asked if all window films were the same my response would be different - but since you have dialed in on higher end films then I assume you are looking for a particular trait - shade/performance? Once you dial in on higher end films - speaking for SunTek our CeramicIR - it's all about performance. CeramicIR gives you the >99% UV rejection like many of our films, but you get the added advantage of increased IR rejection. IR is the heat that you feel inside your vehicle.

You're right, you will find similar performance numbers from many film lines, so then the installer/price does come into play. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'll help answer if I can!

Thank you for the quick reply.

General consensus over the years is that Phytosync is the absolute best. But it's also the most expensive in my experience. If you can find that for the same price as others, I'd go with that.

Personally, I had Huper Optik ceramic on my S and now I have Xpel ceramic on my 3. Both were less than $500, compared to $700 for Photosync. I've been very happy with both. Being in Texas, it's just going to be hot as *sugar* no matter what. Likely the same for you in Georgia.

Hi woodguyatl,

How does SunTek CeramicIR's IR rejection compare to other brands (3M Crystalline, Llumar CTX)? Also, is your tint a neutral grey or does it lean blue or brown?

Depending on what you categorize "high end" window films, the short and easy answer is they're not all the same. Also, don't get too caught up in "ceramic" tints when researching because that has become such a buzz word for companies to use in marketing since that's the only term general consumers know of. You wouldn't believe how many claim to be ceramic but aren't.

How does SunTek CeramicIR's IR rejection compare to other brands (3M Crystalline, Llumar CTX)? Also, is your tint a neutral grey or does it lean blue or brown?

You can easily find the specs online to compare but I will give you a heads up, not all specs are collected the same. Many companies pull their data at different wavelengths to make their IR rejection/TSER(total solar energy rejection) look better than it really is.

Here is the link to our auto window film specs https://d2dulpzpbyybdb.cloudfront.net/suntekfilms/files/SunTek%20Auto%20Specs.pdf

To your hue question - our CIR leans a bit more blue than grey or brown. I have CeramicIR 20 on my personal vehicle and it appears black from the outside. Inside the car looking out it does have a bit of a blue hue.

Depending on what you categorize "high end" window films, the short and easy answer is they're not all the same. Also, don't get too caught up in "ceramic" tints when researching because that has become such a buzz word for companies to use in marketing since that's the only term general consumers know of. You wouldn't believe how many claim to be ceramic but aren't.

That's a great point, for years we did not make a Ceramic instead kept with our CarbonXP as our high end film. Since we introduced CeramicIR it has been a hit due to the increased IR rejection it offers.

I was planning to tint my model 3 using CIR, but I am a bit worried about this comment. How blue does it look? Can you post some photos?
My suggestion is to go to an installer. Perception is reality and I guarantee your perception won’t be the same as the next guys. Any installer that does high end film will be more than happy to show you the films.

On that note, research your installer. That matters as much as the film used.

Final suggestion from me is to tint the windshield. It makes a massive difference.

I have higher end films from 3 different manufacturers. I personally cannot tell a difference between the films. I believe in the law of diminishing returns.

When I chose my tint, heat rejection was the highest priority. At first, I was going to go with Photosync, as it does offer the highest heat rejection of any film on the market. However, when I emailed the manufacturer to ask for a referral to an authorized dealer, they referred me to someone about 45 to 50 miles away. When I asked for an installer closer, they said there was no authorized installer closer. This really turned me off. First, it means that I have a long drive for the initial installation and also if I ever need any warranty fixes done. Second, it also means there is a lot less competition so they can charge higher prices. I decided in the end to go with Xpel Prime XR Plus. I have been extremely happy with this tint and also with the excellent installer who is less than 10 min from my home.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
Thanks for the replies.

I'm also looking for the highest TSER number. I've received quotes for a few different materials (see below), and right now Suntek seems the best bang for your buck.

Understand the windshield lets a lot of heat in, but I plan to start with only the side windows. If that’s not sufficient I may go back and get the back/front windows done later.

(Sides only)
3M Crystalline - $500
Llumar Pinnacle - $400
Suntek CIR - $300

General consensus over the years is that Phytosync is the absolute best. But it's also the most expensive in my experience. If you can find that for the same price as others, I'd go with that.

Personally, I had Huper Optik ceramic on my S and now I have Xpel ceramic on my 3. Both were less than $500, compared to $700 for Photosync. I've been very happy with both. Being in Texas, it's just going to be hot as *sugar* no matter what. Likely the same for you in Georgia.

Wow $700 for the Photosync. For the Photosync IRD doing windows all around, back in one piece, top glass and windshield I was quoted $1500. Is that inline with what other's are getting quoted?

Thanks

Wow $700 for the Photosync. For the Photosync IRD doing windows all around, back in one piece, top glass and windshield I was quoted $1500. Is that inline with what other's are getting quoted?

Thanks

I was quoted $2050 for the Photosync IRD here in California. I am only doing the 6 side windows for $700. Crazy high prices, but it’s the closest place to me that does Photosync. I don’t want to drive too far in case there are any issues with the tint.