Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are ALL London's SuCs Really Off-Line at 1430 on Saturday, 15th August 2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving up the M4 towards London on Saturday - intending to charge at Reading. Halfway there, I see the Reading SuC symbol on the Nav app is greyed out. Eeek! Zoom out to find this... (sorry about the quality)...

IMG_4374.jpg

Even more 'Eeek!'. Anyway, I had my CHAdeMo adaptor so I thought I'd try Reading anyway and if necessary go to the M4 services there and use the adaptor. Low, when I arrived at the Reading SuC ... there was no-one there at all! Perplexed, I charged up and carried on...

What does the greying out mean? Is it in any way accurate? If not, war's the point?

I'd thought grey'd out implied you couldn't reach this SuC with current charge levels...

BUT after a trip down to see the parents recently had a similar experience as you, after charging at South Mimms (to 80%) all the London ones where grey's out (and where clearly reachable!)

I would also like to know if there is another significance if it's not:

Being fully utilised (no free points)
or out of range on current charge

RTFM :)

(or at least read the release notes on software updates)

Grey (as in fully grey) pins are chargers you've visited that are not superchargers. Guessing that's IKEA Edmonton on your display Martin?
Bright red pins are superchargers that the car thinks you might want to consider visiting (i.e. ones that are within range and which would help on your journey)
Faded red pins are superchargers that are not relevant to your current journey (out of reach, or in an unhelpful direction).

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I don't believe there is any symbol that means "charger offline". The supercharger network is much too reliable for that :)

The Portman Square supercharger is the only UK SC that's not in operation, and it isn't listed at all in the in-car database at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

P.P.S. You can always access the release notes for your most recent software update by pressing the Tesla T at the top of the centre console screen.

Faded symbols just mean that the car doesn't think it can get there with the amount of charge you have left. It does not mean the supercharger is off line. Sometimes the nav wigs out and decides you can't make it to chargers that are well within range for whatever reason.

@mgboyes - That doesn't make any sense at all then as - as I mentioned in my OP - Reading was originally greyed out too, and that was right on my route. Why is the RC at Ikea in there and no others?... London Gateway services, Heston etc?

I just downloaded the latest manual from 'My Tesla' and I can't find anything about this subject. Can someone give me a clue (or a page number/search string, ideally), please?

Golly! - Tesla really needs to sort out the wazzing touch-screen and all its issues - especially the nav app. The touch-screen promises so much when you first clap eyes on it but in reality it is more of a distraction than a help. I am considering attaching my trusty iPhone (running the excellent TomTom) in its suction holder right in the middle of it to make a point!

And as for the voice recognition - I think my Windows 3.1 + Dragon was better! MW

@mgboyes - That doesn't make any sense at all then as - as I mentioned in my OP - Reading was originally greyed out too, and that was right on my route. Why is the RC at Ikea in there and no others?... London Gateway services, Heston etc?

I just downloaded the latest manual from 'My Tesla' and I can't find anything about this subject. Can someone give me a clue (or a page number/search string, ideally), please?

Golly! - Tesla really needs to sort out the wazzing touch-screen and all its issues - especially the nav app. The touch-screen promises so much when you first clap eyes on it but in reality it is more of a distraction than a help. I am considering attaching my trusty iPhone (running the excellent TomTom) in its suction holder right in the middle of it to make a point!

And as for the voice recognition - I think my Windows 3.1 + Dragon was better! MW

The satnav and trip/route planning is ****. This is not news :)

I was just pointing out that the meaning of "faded red pin" is "supercharger that isn't on your route" not "supercharger that's offline". This is in the release notes of the most recent v6.2 versions (which you can access by pressing the T at the top of the centre screen).

Grey pin means "place you've charged in the past that isn't a supercharger"
Faded red pin means "supercharger that's not important to your current route"
Bright red pin means "supercharger you should consider travelling to".
Offline superchargers (like the one at Portman Square) don't appear at all.

Since it's well established that the car makes utterly moronic decisions about which SCs you should and should not travel to, it's not surprising that their colours are wrong. The whole thing is riddled with bugs.

And let's not even get started on why you only have traffic data overlay on half of your map :-(

- - - Updated - - -

Oi! I didn't realise TMC actually replaced profanities with asterisks. Seriously.

I said it was 5h1t

"I was just pointing out ..." Yes, indeed. I didn't mean for what I wrote to be a criticism of your post. Quite the opposite - it was very helpful to me and for others too, I suspect. Why don't they put every thing in the latest on-line user manual release? It's not much use having these tid-bits only available to you in the car as you won't have time to look at them when you are driving. Some light reading when SuCing, I suppose.

Is there a colour for SuCs that are all being used or do they disappear as well? MW

"I was just pointing out ..." Yes, indeed. I didn't mean for what I wrote to be a criticism of your post. Quite the opposite - it was very helpful to me and for others too, I suspect. Why don't they put every thing in the latest on-line user manual release? It's not much use having these tid-bits only available to you in the car as you won't have time to look at them when you are driving. Some light reading when SuCing, I suppose.

Is there a colour for SuCs that are all being used or do they disappear as well? MW

I'm pretty sure the implication by Elon that the car might be aware of how busy each SC currently is, and use that in its routing calculations, is total PR nonsense. I'd be absolutely amazed if this was currently factored into the navigation.

I think they only update the user manual (PDF) at each full release, so I guess these greyed-out pins came in a point-release.