Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all model 3 being delivered in dec consider 2020 model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes- the VIN indicates model year.

Prior to this year Tesla didn't use "model" years- if it was physically build in 2018 it was a 2018, period. There were no 2019s until the first car was built Jan 2019.

THIS year they've changed that- and folks have been taking delivery of 2020 models since at least November (might have been even earlier)

Reactions: Roadblock
@Roadblock

Care to say what you disagreed with in my post. Its completely factual. One could "get delivered" a model 2019 car right now that was made in june of this year, for example.

When the car is delivered has zero to do with whether its a model year 2020 car or not. When it was MADE makes a difference, not only for tesla but for all manufacturers. In tesla's case, they started making model year 2020 year teslas right around november.... but someone could absolutely get a car delivered right now in december that was made in july, that would be model year 2019.

So, what are you disagreeing with, exactly?

The big question is what does model year matter. With Tesla they roll features into cars when they are ready (or feel like it). And even big features.

Case in point.

We ordered our model X in Feb 2018. When we test drove it noticed the 17" screen was a little laggy, but was OK. In mid-Mar 2018 they replace the 32-bit processor based MCU that runs the screen with a 64-bit process version (MCU1 vs MCU 2). This gave us dramatically increased the performance of the maps and other features. In addition, having the old MCU prevents you from getting a number of the newer V10 features.

Also before we picked up our car at the end of May they dropped the color combination we selected. And replaced it cream interior and wood trim. I actually like the new trim better. But, again this is something Tesla does on their schedule, not some artificial year model boundary.

Pretty sure they did the same thing with the "Raven" performance upgrade for the S and X.

Reactions: coconutboy84
Whether a car is marketed as having a model year or not, the 17 character VIN number has the year as the 10th digit. If you VIN has the letter L in the 10th place then it is a 2020. If it has a K then it is a 2019. Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing special or controversial about this.

Reactions: tren01t
Whether a car is marketed as having a model year or not, the 17 character VIN number has the year as the 10th digit. If you VIN has the letter L in the 10th place then it is a 2020. If it has a K then it is a 2019. Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing special or controversial about this.

The only thing special is that, prior to roughly last month, Tesla never used in-advance model years.

Every car was stamped with a VIN code for the year it was built. Built Jan 1 2018? It was a 2018. Built Dec 31 2018? It was a 2018.

That's very different from basically every other car maker out there.

Just recently- they've changed that, so that now they're stamping cars 2020 prior to it actually being 2020. Nothing special compared to other brands- very different from Teslas entire previous history of operations though.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I was told by a Tesla rep on the phone that my Model 3 was going to be a 2019. This was important because my credit union wanted this info for my loan. When I ran my Vin on the vin checker web site, it decided the car as a 2020. When I got my purchase documents via email on Saturday (12/14/2019), it is a 2020. Tesla has apparently changed the practice of documenting cars based on manufacture date. This is a single data point - my personal experience. Your situation might be different. Also, I ordered on 12/9/2109 in NJ and was told I can pick up on 12/19/2019. The most challenging bit was having to call multiple times to get my contracts.

I was told by delivery staff on the phone that they are delivering 2 to 3 times the normal number of cars. If you have a Vin number and don’t have a delivery date or your contracts, reach out to your delivery department. They will assist you - at least they were helpful to me.

I was told by a Tesla rep on the phone that my Model 3 was going to be a 2019. This was important because my credit union wanted this info for my loan. When I ran my Vin on the vin checker web site, it decided the car as a 2020. When I got my purchase documents via email on Saturday (12/14/2019), it is a 2020.

So now you know not to waste time asking a Tesla rep anything. Virtually everything they say is wrong.

@Roadblock

Care to say what you disagreed with in my post. Its completely factual. One could "get delivered" a model 2019 car right now that was made in june of this year, for example.

When the car is delivered has zero to do with whether its a model year 2020 car or not. When it was MADE makes a difference, not only for tesla but for all manufacturers. In tesla's case, they started making model year 2020 year teslas right around november.... but someone could absolutely get a car delivered right now in december that was made in july, that would be model year 2019.

So, what are you disagreeing with, exactly?

I wish they would just eliminate the disagree button from this forum. It’s completely worthless. I used it a few times as a new forum member and quickly realized how annoying it is. If you disagree with something have the courtesy to state what you disagree with.

In any case, your answer is correct. The only clarification i would have made is that the sole thing that determines if you car is a 2020 is whether the 10th digit is an “L” rather than a “K”. Presumably there was a cutover date where they stopped issuing L VINs. But since Tesla registers VINs in batches it’s certainly possible (if not likely) that they produced some “L” cars for a particular trim/color/region, and then built another round of vehicles at a later date with some earlier VINs that still had the “K” designation. So in theory they could have built some 2020 SR+ models on December 1 and then some 2019 AWD models on December 5.

So that’s a long roundabout way of saying that “when” the car was built does not uniquely determine what model year it ended up with.

Reactions: jjrandorin