Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all Model Y orders placed for the 279mi range variant built in Austin with 4680 and structural battery pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Texas, and recommended that a friend commit to a white Model Y w/279 mile range that showed up for immediate purchase on this site, a few weeks ago.

I was pretty confident this is an Austin build with 4680 and new frame/structural battery. However, a Tesla employee told him otherwise. His delivery now shows Dec 17-Jan 28th, although when he ordered it, it was supposed to come the following week.
68271708073__3E9DAE71-B620-4438-B540-A382388E7153.jpeg
68271708073__3E9DAE71-B620-4438-B540-A382388E7153.jpeg

If it is 279 range then it is 4860 battery cells , structural battery pack . However, on the screen shot you provided nothing tells us the car battery range. So if that is all the info then you need to go by pricing I guess. Is that price less than what a long range with same features costs?

As far as I know the 4860 cells are made in California since Austin still has scaling issues in cell production. Battery pack populated with cells in Nevada & drive trains & units made in Nevada. Then again, everything changes quickly so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
If it is 279 range then it is 4860 battery cells , structural battery pack . However, Otho g on the screen shot you provided tells us the car range. So if that is all the info then you need to go by pricing I guess. Is that price less than what a long range with same features costs?
Yeah I neglected to get the range in the image, but I'm 100% sure it was 279mi. And the price is less than the 318mi long range.

Why would the Tesla rep tell him that his order wasn't an Austin build, nor one with structural battery pack?
MY.jpg

Yeah I neglected to get the range in the image, but I'm 100% sure it was 279mi. And the price is less than the 318mi long range.

Why would the Tesla rep tell him that his order wasn't an Austin build, nor one with structural battery pack?
The Tesla rep, as with many, aren't very sharp with up-to-date product knowledge sometimes. MY AWD trims are all 4680. The other factories do not have the tooling to build a structural pack car at this time.

The Tesla rep, as with many, aren't very sharp with up-to-date product knowledge sometimes. MY AWD trims are all 4680. The other factories do not have the tooling to build a structural pack car at this time.
Yes, that was my understanding, which is why I told my friend (also in Texas) to pull the trigger.
Yeah, all "MYAWD" 279 mile range cars are from Texas, with the 4680 pack.

Customer service agents don't tend to be super well informed, even if they're well intended. They simply may not know what's-what
I can appreciate that. But I guess the Tesla rep gave the impression that he was very knowledgeable on these things, and insinuated that Fremont got upgrades "first" that would eventually trickle to Austin (which I was 100% sure was the opposite).

My friend actually ordered two Model Ys, including one from Fremont that now has a Dec 10-Jan 21 ETA. The Tesla rep let him change the color on that one, but am I correct in assuming that Austin-builds can't have any customization at this time? You take the one that shows up on this 'available inventory' page? No changes allowed?

Yes, that was my understanding, which is why I told my friend (also in Texas) to pull the trigger.

I can appreciate that. But I guess the Tesla rep gave the impression that he was very knowledgeable on these things, and insinuated that Fremont got upgrades "first" that would eventually trickle to Austin (which I was 100% sure was the opposite).

My friend actually ordered two Model Ys, including one from Fremont that now has a Dec 10-Jan 21 ETA. The Tesla rep let him change the color on that one, but am I correct in assuming that Austin-builds can't have any customization at this time? You take the one that shows up on this 'available inventory' page? No changes allowed?

I don't believe there's any way to "order" a MYAWD, thus there's no way to pick a color.

Tesla has been making them in small quantities as what's basically a pilot program for the new 4680 pack. They then offer the completed cars to MYLR reservation holders in the Texas-ish region as a way to save a couple thousand and get a car faster. Since the cars are already being made, you get whatever color it's got. There's a chance of seeing several MYAWD's so a couple color choices might exist.

I don't believe there's any way to "order" a MYAWD, thus there's no way to pick a color.

Tesla has been making them in small quantities as what's basically a pilot program for the new 4680 pack. They then offer the completed cars to MYLR reservation holders in the Texas-ish region as a way to save a couple thousand and get a car faster. Since the cars are already being made, you get whatever color it's got. There's a chance of seeing several MYAWD's so a couple color choices might exist.
That makes total sense.

Last question.. the Austin Model Y (i.e. 279mi range) is AWD, but not dual motor, right? I wasn't sure if the range difference was just due to the 4680s being in a smaller pack and/or software limited at this early point.

That makes total sense.

Last question.. the Austin Model Y (i.e. 279mi range) is AWD, but not dual motor, right? I wasn't sure if the range difference was just due to the 4680s being in a smaller pack and/or software limited at this early point.

Dual motors. It's an Identical drivetrain - MYAWD is essentially a MYLR with a different battery pack and a parcel cover. It has slightly less range and acceleration due to the preliminary 4680 packs running a bit lower total voltage than the 2170 counterpart.

• Helpful
Reactions: turns2stone
Dual motors. It's an Identical drivetrain - MYAWD is essentially a MYLR with a different battery pack and a parcel cover. It has slightly less range and acceleration due to the preliminary 4680 packs running a bit lower total voltage than the 2170 counterpart.
Cool. You can see where my confusion comes in... notice in the original screen shot above, the Model Y is just listed as "All-Wheel Drive", whereas the config on the standard Tesla site (aka Fremont version) calls out "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Long Range".

Cool. You can see where my confusion comes in... notice in the original screen shot above, the Model Y is just listed as "All-Wheel Drive", whereas the config on the standard Tesla site (aka Fremont version) calls out "Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Long Range".

Yes, they've used some less-than-great wording, probably because the original plan was to get full range out of the 4680 pack and just have a different implementation of a single MYLR.

At the last minute, they opted for less-range, which meant it had to be sold as a different model, so they invented "MYAWD" which is alas a synonym for dual-motor, hence your confusion. It takes two motors, one in the front and one in the back to achieve awd, so drivetrain is the same.

Reactions: turns2stone
Seems new features can start at Fremont or Austin depending on which side of the bed Elon wakes up on...
New door trim started at Fremont and eventually made it to Austin
Rear cargo cover started in Austin and still hasn't made it to Fremont
Matrix lights on MYLR is happening in Fremont but not Austin but then that is supposedly temporary change due to supply issues.

Seems new features can start at Fremont or Austin depending on which side of the bed Elon wakes up on...
New door trim started at Fremont and eventually made it to Austin
Rear cargo cover started in Austin and still hasn't made it to Fremont
Matrix lights on MYLR is happening in Fremont but not Austin but then that is supposedly temporary change due to supply issues.
Cargo cover has been on a few MYPs built on 9/1 in Fremont. We can check that one off the list! Maybe some LRs too, but haven't checked those threads.

Reactions: arbitrage000