Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all opinions created equal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, no.

Jim: This car is great. It has everything I need. Except I think it should have solar panels under the battery.
Joe: Yeah, the car is great.
Jim: See you're agreeing with me.
Joe: Um, no.

LOL, but Joe, you said, and I quote, 'Yeah, the car is great'. seems like you're confused :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the example. :)
I understand you'd like us to have no opinion, but on-going feedback seems to indicate that the majority of TMC is happy with the way it's been going. From a business perspective, if membership were declining because of unhappiness over this issue, it would have to change. But the messages I've seen indicate that a large number of people LIKE this forum precisely because of the moderation.

Absolutely NOT what I said. What I said was that moderators should moderate (doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion), doing so, can put participants in an uncomfortable position given the position of the moderator, which brianman pointed out he could name a number of times when exactly that happened, and I quote, "I'm not sure what can/should be done about it, and it certainly hasn't been a problem generally but I can definitely think of specific examples where the lines have gotten uncomfortably blurry"

And there's is nothing disingenuous about me posting that most sites moderators have a delineation of duties, not disingenuous at all given that just as you all can say you belong to a number of site's where that's not the case, I can, and do belong to sites where there is a clear delineation (as well as having set up sites with such rules).

it certainly hasn't been a problem generally but I can definitely think of specific examples where the lines have gotten uncomfortably blurry.
brianman pointed out he could name a number of times when exactly that happened
You're misrepresenting what I said.

Since you seem to relish wordplay, I'll guess I'll have to get more specific. Yes, technically I can think of "a number of times" when it has gotten uncomfortable. That number is something like 2 or 3.

As an outsider, I must say this is a great soap opera. What makes it even better is the amount of moderators in one thread.

Maybe the original thread was created so the OP could get an article written about them. We all know, there have been a LOT of articles that have been started by threads in this forum. Maybe he wanted his 15 minutes of fame. Although I do agree that it COULD be a design flaw, like I wrote in the original thread.

(Why don't we have the popcorn eating emoticon?)

I'm not sure what can/should be done about it, and it certainly hasn't been a problem generally but I can definitely think of specific examples where the lines have gotten uncomfortably blurry. The posts in this thread (so far) have had no blur problems in this regard though, IMO.

how on earth is this wordplay? how? you didn't even use 'number' you said think of specific examples...is me saying a 'number of times' that different than 'think of specific examples'??? really...quite a stretch brian, a huge stretch.

how on earth is this wordplay? how? you didn't even use 'number' you said think of specific examples...is me saying a 'number of times' that different than 'think of specific examples'??? really...quite a stretch brian, a huge stretch.
And now I'm thinking we use the word "stretch" differently.

Your phrasing of "a number of times" was clearly to invoke an impression of "it must happen often", which is definitely not what I was saying or suggesting.

Can someone explain how you just moderate while also being allowed to have an opinion and express it?

It's pretty clear when were are just posting our opinion and when we do something as a moderator
'Mod note:....etc' for example. Or we simply send the person a PM.

Some want no moderation, some say we are Chinese dictators and over moderate, to some it is just right.

Last edited:
Not a moderator note (I'm not a moderator):

I've been on this forum for a couple of years now and I haven't seen any real tendency to over-moderate. I've been on forums where there is over-moderation (not many, and on those I just agree with the moderator or don't post--mostly I don't post and wonder why the moderator just didn't write a blog), or not enough moderation (too many to count, and most posts consist of personal attacks). In my opinion, TMC Mods do a good job of keeping the threads on topic and moving the more offensive posts to snippiness. Do I agree 100% with everything they do? No, but so what? Anytime there is more than one person involved there are going to be disagreements. If there are so many that it becomes a problem, I just don't visit the site anymore.

I agree with the Mods that if a member only posts negative items, it tends to appear that they have an agenda--particularly if it's in the form of "I heard...so there must be a problem" (trolling), the post is about something that likely has multiple threads and hundreds of posts already (dead horse syndrome), and the poster has no history or only a negative history (it's different if the poster has made constructive posts in the past).

Posts in the form of "My car did...", "Can you explain...", "Why does/doesn't Tesla...", "I'm considering but..." tend to be constructive. There is no shortage of complaints about various features of the car--or lack thereof--on TMC, although sometimes they seem to take the form of the complaint of the week and get rather tedious--especially as Tesla often, but not always, comes through. There are also success stories. It seems like a pretty good balance to me.

The thing to know about forums is that there are no vocal tones nor body language to allow subtle meanings to come through--only the written text (emotocons only go so far). So something that's said in person might sound just fine, but when the same words are read, there can be a totally different message read then what the poster intended. I believe this accounts for the majority of disagreements, and even if they aren't, I try to look at them as if the problem is with my interpretation of what was written. No need to stress out over them, as I can get all the stress I want at work.

What I want out of this forum:

1. Owner experiences (good bad) with service, traveling, installation and anything else that has anything to do with owning or driving a Tesla.

2. Tips and tricks.

3. Modifications and third party items.

4. Dialogue with other owners.

5. New features with the cars, website, events, etc.

6. Information about Tesla as a company (SpaceX and Solar City too).

7. Supplements to the official communication (of which there isn't nearly enough).

What I don't want out of this forum:

1. Complaints about the car from non-owners (aka trolling--I can visit Jalopnic or Fox if I want to read those).

2. Personal attacks.

3. Politics (Yeah, I'm guilty of posting a few of these).