Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are all Teslas 72A max instead of 80A now? When did this change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking on the website it would appear that now the Model S can only charge at up to 72 amps instead of the 80 amps previously allowed. Does anyone know specifically when this change occurred or why?

Is this lower limit for both Model S and Model X?

When plugged into a charging station with an 80A pilot signal, does the amperage adjustment on your newer vehicle's touch-screen now show a max of only 72 instead of the 80A I see on older vehicles?

It's actually 96A maximum (3x32) for the old dual charger system. Probably not an issue for overnight charging with the new 72A limit, but might become more noticeable when bigger batteries are released.

It's a shame they couldn't get 32A 3-phase supported in the new charger design. It's extremely common in europe/australasia.

So looking on the website it would appear that now the Model S can only charge at up to 72 amps instead of the 80 amps previously allowed. Does anyone know specifically when this change occurred or why?

Is this lower limit for both Model S and Model X?

When plugged into a charging station with an 80A pilot signal, does the amperage adjustment on your newer vehicle's touch-screen now show a max of only 72 instead of the 80A I see on older vehicles?

Prior to the refresh, on the Model S, there was a single 40A charger installed, unless you upgraded to dual-chargers, which would supply 80A. After the refresh, there is a single 72A charger, with a software limit of 48A.

I purchased the dual-charger on my Model S, because I was planning on installing the HPWC (High Power Wall Connector) at home on a 80A circuit. Talking to other Tesla owners, I find that I'm actually in the minority -- most use the Mobile Connector and connect it to a NEMA 14-50 plug in their garage. The NEMA 14-50 supplies 40 Amps. The old HPWC was switchable from 20A to 80A. Their current generation HPWC is capable of 48A-72A, which makes it less enticing for old HPWC owners with dual chargers like me, but makes more sense for newer owners, as you'd never need to upgrade to 72A if you're just using the NEMA 14-50 for your daily charging.

The new HPWC's are also half the price of the old ones.

So specifically when (what date) was the "refresh" where they stopped using the old two charger setup?

If it does in fact now have a single onboard charger capable of only 72A max that is sort of unfortunate that it is de-rated but perhaps it was done to reduce complexity and save space and costs.

Regarding the HPWC itself, I believe AESCULUS is correct, it is actually capable of being set to give an 80A pilot signal, so if you bought the new version HPWC, had a 100A feed and set the HPWC to 80A, then older Teslas could still charge at 80A but the new Teslas would only draw up to 72A. The 80A setting is still listed in the new HPWC manual from Tesla's website:
Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable