TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Are any other auto-makers doing updates like Tesla?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by tander, Aug 8, 2017.

1. tander

tander Active Member

I've been keeping up with Tesla much more-so than any other auto-maker and was thinking about how it's pretty cool how Tesla is doing software updates and can honestly claim to make your car better with time to some extent. Got me thinking are there any other makers doing the same thing? I've heard of software fixes for the diesel stuff and so forth, but is anyone else actively doing software updates?

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

AFAIK there are no direct to car updates offered by any other car manufacturers

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

GM promised the Bolt is capable of it but shows no signs of actually doing it, and may have legal issues with taking work from their dealers when they try.

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

I think some with Android Auto can get over the air updates but otherwise, conventional dealerships need service fee so you need to come in physically.

5. kort677

kort677 Active Member

what car is android auto built into?

6. Tam

Tam Active Member

[​IMG]

GM Bolt of course, but its OTA plan is not active just yet. May be by 2020.

For clarification, Android Auto is more about Entertainment only, not about the rest of the car's function, propulsion, performance...

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Dealers want cars to come in for updates (and in some states it may be a requirement if a manufacturer has dealers). Tesla doesn't have dealers. Ergo...

8. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

I can say that BMW doesn't do this (at least the current ConnectedDrive cars). My wife's 330e was in for an oil change the other day, and they wanted to keep it overnight so they could do a software update on it.

Bruce.