Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are automatic car washes safe for car and rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like being able to quickly drive through a car wash to get my car cleaned. I’ll be picking up my M3 LR with 19” wheels tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone has had bad experiences using this type of car wash. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

My experience is a definite no, at least if you don't want fine scratches. As many have stated the paint is very soft. I've got a lot of abrasion marks all over my car from the automatic car wash I frequent. I'll be doing a full paint protection film wrap on my next tesla.

This is one of my biggest disappointments with Tesla. I hope they find a way to improve the paint soon.

As outdoors mentioned, lots of previous posts on the subject. Automatic washes that make contact with the paint will induce scratches and swirls. So only use these washes if you do not care about scratches and swirls. So called touchless washes will not induce scratches and swirls, but 1) they do not get your paint as clean and 2) they use high pH soaps that will often strip waxes and sealants off your paint.

Personally, I would recommend doing rinseless washes using ONR (Optimum No Rinse) and/or waterless washes using Optimum's OptiClean, Mckees 37 Waterless Wash On The Go, or Meguiars D115 Express Wash and Wax. Just invest in some good quality MicroFiber towels and learn proper washing and drying techniques. You can do a rinsless or waterless wash in about the same time it would take you to drive to your local automatic wash, do the wash, and drive home.

If you get PPF (Paint Protection Film) applied to the entire car, then maybe you could do an automatic wash safely, as the PPF would "heal" any scratches or swirls.

Reactions: outdoors
Yes I have. Important note: Check the wheel track at the wash - the skinnier rails will damage the OEM 19" wheels with 235 wide rubber. I use a wash that has a 16" wide track and no wheel damage issues.

Also look at the guide at the beginning. The one that corrects the car if one is crooked. Urethane bumpers or harder type plastic on good car washes prevent or reduce these issues. Mine has them all along the tracks. Like I have said in all of these types of threads. Spend the time and talk to the car wash owner. They will walk you through the system. I have monthly plans, and my cars are washed almost every other day. I have full PPF, and they look awesome. With closing in on 200k for both. Love my PPF

Edit: I used to do ONR. Still do from time to time. Dirt roads can make it a bear. Also leaves a ton of dirt in garage.