Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Canadians still getting Model 3s right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model 3 Long Range, RWD, Red, Aero wheels, on March 19th. Today I got an email from an “Inside Delivery Advisor” from Tesla in Toronto. Here are the key parts:

“… your Model 3 is finishing with production and on its way to our service center to be readied for delivery. Your Model 3 is expected for arrival in the next few weeks … ”

Further on in the email, it indicated that after I’ve gone through the process steps of identifying who the car would be registered to, copy of driver’s license, how I would be paying for the car, would I have a trade in … it mentioned that:

“Once these steps are complete we will be able to provide you with your VIN.”

I had already done those steps so in theory my VIN should be forthcoming soon. Knock on wood!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I ordered a Model 3 Long Range, RWD, Red, Aero wheels, on March 19th. Today I got an email from an “Inside Delivery Advisor” from Tesla in Toronto. Here are the key parts:

“… your Model 3 is finishing with production and on its way to our service center to be readied for delivery. Your Model 3 is expected for arrival in the next few weeks … ”

Further on in the email, it indicated that after I’ve gone through the process steps of identifying who the car would be registered to, copy of driver’s license, how I would be paying for the car, would I have a trade in … it mentioned that:

“Once these steps are complete we will be able to provide you with your VIN.”

I had already done those steps so in theory my VIN should be forthcoming soon. Knock on wood!
Dang, I ordered March 1st and still nothing. There must be a backlog on LR AWD. I'm sweating because I agreed with the buyer of my current car to give them possession at the end of this month (which seemed reasonable given a delivery estimate of "within 2 weeks".)

Dang, I ordered March 1st and still nothing. There must be a backlog on LR AWD. I'm sweating because I agreed with the buyer of my current car to give them possession at the end of this month (which seemed reasonable given a delivery estimate of "within 2 weeks".)
bwalter, I hope things work out for you. You must be very anxious. I think you are probably right about the AWD having the backlog. I'm guessing that the long range RWD is probably their most popular car and thus they are always manufacturing them.

I ordered end of January LR AWD, black, standard wheels for a delivery in Montreal. No planned delivery date yet.

I wanted to take advantage of the end of the referral program (at the time) and Tesla Montreal was ok with me taking delivery between beginning of March and March 31st (because at that time we were not sure if Quebec would extend the 8000$ rebate) Only got a VIN assigned March 13 but it was a 2018 model. I told them I would prefer a 2019 and they said no problem and nothing since then.

I am in no rush as the Quebec rebate is now extended but for one of the most popular configuration they don't seem to have cars waiting around. Maybe that will change in the next few days but my guess is the end of the quarter rush and deliveries will be more focus in the US than Canada.

I ordered end of January LR AWD, black, standard wheels for a delivery in Montreal. No planned delivery date yet.

.... Only got a VIN assigned March 13 but it was a 2018 model. I told them I would prefer a 2019 and they said no problem and nothing since then. ...
Chris, sorry for the newbie question but how can you determine from the VIN what model year the car is? Thanks in advance.

Chris, sorry for the newbie question but how can you determine from the VIN what model year the car is? Thanks in advance.

Yes, I'm sure 5_+JqckQttqck is correct. In my case, I was told by email they had a car with a VIN assigned to me and it it was a 2018 car so I knew right away, The VIN was not yet assigned to my Tesla.com profile. If you have a VIN, there would be a lettre in there referencing the year, you can look here for more info:
VIN Decoder | TeslaTap

To the above posters, thanks for the info about decoding VIN numbers. Pardon me for another newbie question. Is it all that critical for a Model 3 to get a 2019 versus a 2018?

Probably not, especially if it is a late 2018 VIN. My concern was more on the resale value even though it is not my intention to resale this car but you never know. A 2019 car will have a resale value higher than a 2018 even though Tesla does not have model year per say.

For me there is no rush to get this car, I would prefer to have the snow melt before getting it so I was fine in waiting longer for a 2019 model and Tesla said right away no problem in assigning me a 2019 model instead as I could have accepted a 2018 if they would have been less flexible.

Probably not, especially if it is a late 2018 VIN. My concern was more on the resale value even though it is not my intention to resale this car but you never know. A 2019 car will have a resale value higher than a 2018 even though Tesla does not have model year per say.

For me there is no rush to get this car, I would prefer to have the snow melt before getting it so I was fine in waiting longer for a 2019 model and Tesla said right away no problem in assigning me a 2019 model instead as I could have accepted a 2018 if they would have been less flexible.
Thanks for the reply. I'm keen to get the car now so if it was a late 2018 I think I'd still accept it. Understand your point about them not having traditional model years. I not anticipating a resale so the 2018/2019 resale value isn't a consideration. I just want a car fresh enough that it has recent hardware improvements and recent quality.

Thanks for the reply. I'm keen to get the car now so if it was a late 2018 I think I'd still accept it. Understand your point about them not having traditional model years. I not anticipating a resale so the 2018/2019 resale value isn't a consideration. I just want a car fresh enough that it has recent hardware improvements and recent quality.

Not different right now, unless you want to wait until they confirm HW3 is being put into the cars.

I wanted to take advantage of the end of the referral program (at the time) and Tesla Montreal was ok with me taking delivery between beginning of March and March 31st (because at that time we were not sure if Quebec would extend the 8000$ rebate) Only got a VIN assigned March 13 but it was a 2018 model. I told them I would prefer a 2019 and they said no problem and nothing since then.

I am in no rush as the Quebec rebate is now extended but for one of the most popular configuration they don't seem to have cars waiting around. Maybe that will change in the next few days but my guess is the end of the quarter rush and deliveries will be more focus in the US than Canada.

Where did you hear the rebate might not be extended? I thought it was till 2020?
Im waiting for delivery as well and I'm not optimistic or impressed with tesla right now. Ordered January a MR just got a call this week saying they aren't going to make MR and I took a SR+ no VIN yet doubtful I'll get it by end of March.

Where did you hear the rebate might not be extended? I thought it was till 2020?
Im waiting for delivery as well and I'm not optimistic or impressed with tesla right now. Ordered January a MR just got a call this week saying they aren't going to make MR and I took a SR+ no VIN yet doubtful I'll get it by end of March.

I wrote at the time I ordered in January I was not sure if the rebate would be extended and ask for a delivery prior to March 31st, sorry if it was not clear.

You are correct, it has been confirmed that the 8000$ rebate for cars under for 75 000$ is extended. For 2020-2021, it will still be 8000$ rebate but for cars under 60 000$. 2020-2021

I wrote at the time I ordered in January I was not sure if the rebate would be extended and ask for a delivery prior to March 31st, sorry if it was not clear.

You are correct, it has been confirmed that the 8000$ rebate for cars under for 75 000$ is extended. For 2020-2021, it will still be 8000$ rebate but for cars under 60 000$. 2020-2021

Get the 375D's in before 2020 :)