Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Canadians still getting Model 3s right now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy confirmed his order 2 weeks ago. At the time it said 4 weeks for delivery, but now the website says end of February. With so many 3s going to Europe right now do you think he is SOL for a other month? Anyone taking delivery of a 3 in the last week or next week? Thanks!

Elon said on the investor call today that they are only manufacturing for Europe and China. Not sure if this is literal or "mostly". There was no indication when or how much they would funnel production towards NA.
Sorry - good luck!
Tesla's intent is to ship vehicles that will be delivered before end of quarter, so I'd expect a most USA/Canada deliveries to be in March. :)
They don't want a high in-transit number for the end of Q1.

Reactions: 03DSG
I have two orders for Montreal,

They ******-up the first order so it was only process December 31st 2018, but I ordered on November 14 2018.

Second order on Jan 8th 2019.

Both are white interior, for which there is 0 inventory in Canada... So we're stuck waiting with no eta for either car...

Really hoping for February delivery...

Interestingly, EV sales in Ontario went way up when the cancellation of the rebate was announced, then dropped, but apparently bounced back to pre-cancellation levels and maybe even a bit higher. Good info here.
I think what is seen there is the load of model 3 orders that were allowed to come though after the cancellation since they only have numbers through to q4 2018. Possibly anyway.

I expect other EV sales to tank. Possibly model 3 will not be affected as much since the rebate (while huge) is a smaller percentage of the overall purchase price. Taking 14k off of a leaf helps a heck of a lot more people afford one than taking 14k off a model 3.

I hope I'm wrong because it's been great to see more EVs on the road. When I got my first gen volt I would go months without seeing another EV in the wild. Now I see 10 per day on my morning commute alone.

I'm actually really curious to see what the used EV market is like now. I did pretty well selling my 2017 volt in September, I almost broke even despite having close to 50k on it. It never would have sold for that much if there were rebates still on the table since a new one + rebate would only have been ~3k more than mine.

I think what is seen there is the load of model 3 orders that were allowed to come though after the cancellation since they only have numbers through to q4 2018. Possibly anyway.

I expect other EV sales to tank. Possibly model 3 will not be affected as much since the rebate (while huge) is a smaller percentage of the overall purchase price. Taking 14k off of a leaf helps a heck of a lot more people afford one than taking 14k off a model 3.

14K off the base Model 3 is a huge chunk. That was my original plan to get the base model for daily commuting and add EAP/FSD for "free". Rich or Poor, no one likes to pay sales tax, the rebate essentially is a tax rebate for the 1st production Model 3.

The only reason the rebate was cancelled is to protect every NON-EV manufacturer. The oil industry has test drove Teslas, stripped down Teslas, and shiat their pants at how much fun and joy they're to drive. Any rebate that helps sales of these vehicles is a threat to their Earth destroying dino juice empire.

If the 14K rebate was still around, we'd have a megaton more Model 3's on the roads in Ontario.

I am curious, if anyone in Ontario still buys an EV after cancelation of EV rebate.

Yes they do. My friend just ordered an Model 3. The EV rebate cancellation was extremely disappointing. I lost out because the AWD didn't make it onto the list in time but I decided to still order. EV sales will continue to grow. There may be a dip in Ontario. The rebate would have accelerated adoption. Accelerated adoption leads to more EV's on the road which leads to better EV infrastructure (more charging). More charging leads to more adoption. Higher adoption increases sales and drops prices. This cycle will happen regardless of the rebate, but unfortunately at a much slower pace in Ontario versus provinces with the rebates. So, Ontario will fall behind in terms of adoption and infrastructure. Meanwhile, our pollution levels will increase and off-peak electricity demand will not be utilized properly.

Interestingly, EV sales in Ontario went way up when the cancellation of the rebate was announced, then dropped, but apparently bounced back to pre-cancellation levels and maybe even a bit higher. Good info here.

Sales went way up when announced because people wanted to make use of the rebates. After Sept 11th sales tanked in Ontario. I suspect 2019 will be way down unless the federal government starts a rebate program. 3rd quarter 2018 did very well. 4th quarter 2018 is not looking so good.

14K off the base Model 3 is a huge chunk. That was my original plan to get the base model for daily commuting and add EAP/FSD for "free". Rich or Poor, no one likes to pay sales tax, the rebate essentially is a tax rebate for the 1st production Model 3.

The only reason the rebate was cancelled is to protect every NON-EV manufacturer. The oil industry has test drove Teslas, stripped down Teslas, and shiat their pants at how much fun and joy they're to drive. Any rebate that helps sales of these vehicles is a threat to their Earth destroying dino juice empire.

If the 14K rebate was still around, we'd have a megaton more Model 3's on the roads in Ontario.
Agreed, the 14k would have been great on a base model 3, which is not 'that' much more expensive than a loaded leaf, and on par with a Bolt. But the sales/rebate from last year are based off the models available.

The folks who were able to get the rebate on the RWD LR are paying a lot more than SR base model 3, which is still ETA *sometime* in 2019? But the way I look at it, effectively the rebate for the RWD LR 'bought' the LR battery and PUP interior for 'free', so you still got something useful for the rebate :)

I also would have gone with the SR + rebate if it were in the cards as I really dont need all the range on the AWD. As it is I'll likely only need to charge once/week once the temps get warmer again. I love the performance of the AWD, but heck, if I could do it all over again and take a RWD LR/MR/SR + rebate and have a 'slower' car, I'd do it in a heartbeat since the times I really punch the AWD are quite rare and its usually just to put the Tesla smile on whomever I'm giving a test drive to :)

Agreed, the 14k would have been great on a base model 3, which is not 'that' much more expensive than a loaded leaf, and on par with a Bolt. But the sales/rebate from last year are based off the models available.

The folks who were able to get the rebate on the RWD LR are paying a lot more than SR base model 3, which is still ETA *sometime* in 2019? But the way I look at it, effectively the rebate for the RWD LR 'bought' the LR battery and PUP interior for 'free', so you still got something useful for the rebate :)

I also would have gone with the SR + rebate if it were in the cards as I really dont need all the range on the AWD. As it is I'll likely only need to charge once/week once the temps get warmer again. I love the performance of the AWD, but heck, if I could do it all over again and take a RWD LR/MR/SR + rebate and have a 'slower' car, I'd do it in a heartbeat since the times I really punch the AWD are quite rare and its usually just to put the Tesla smile on whomever I'm giving a test drive to :)

Trust me you need LR in Ontario, with sub minus 20 C , the battery will be only 50% utilization. You don’t want to get a Tesla with leaf range for sure.

Trust me you need LR in Ontario, with sub minus 20 C , the battery will be only 50% utilization. You don’t want to get a Tesla with leaf range for sure.
I 'lived' with a gen 1 (40-80km range) then a gen 2 Volt (60-100km range) for a combined ~100,000km over 5 Ontario winters. A commute of 45 km each way plus workplace chargers (at my old job, not the new one) let me do 97% of those km on full EV only usinguaround 80L of dino juice over 5 +years. Granted I'm maybe more the exception rather than the rule, but a 40-50 kwh pack would honestly be more than enough for me....and I reckon 90% of people that live closer than 50km from their workplace but have home charging.

Throw in superchargers for road trips and you are good to go in my opinion. Yes there will be times you wish you had 500km of range, but for 1/2 the price of the car I'm willing to give up those 1-2 times per year it would benefit me.

Just my $0.02

Aside from the major storm last Monday, the 450km (90%) charge was never needed. Battery size does support different styles of driving and pick up as the computer limits the power output dramatically.

I must say, this AWD version of the 3 (maybe even a stealth P?) is growing on me - this rental is amazing!

However, given 90% of the average commuter driving is in traffic and can hardly use the wow factor w/o the constant threat of getting towed.

The LR RWD is the best car imho for my driving needs of 90% 401 and weekend warrior road trips.

Reactions: pcons