Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are cars currently being sold with j1772 adapter?

camalaio

May 28, 2019
Vernon, BC, Canada
This page clearly states that the adapter comes with all Tesla vehicles: SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Not that the shop description is a legal contract, but it's hard to discover what exactly is meant to come with the car. If they started routinely shipping without the adapter, I think we'd very quickly hear about it on these forums.

Picked up my car last week, did NOT come with adapter.

Hopefully this was an error. Please reach out to your delivery team/center so they can help out.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

srs5694

Jan 15, 2019
Woonsocket, RI
As others have said, the car should come with the J1772 adapter. That said, since you've got a J1772 EVSE at home, you might want to buy a second adapter. With just one, you'll need to either keep attaching and detaching it, which will be a hassle and will increase wear and tear; or you'll have to drive around without the J1772 adapter, which means you won't be able to take advantage of public J1772 EVSEs. Having a second adapter therefore makes life a little easier, and also means you won't be as greatly inconvenienced if one is damaged. (OTOH, if you have both Tesla and non-Tesla EVs, you'll need to plug/unplug the adapter quite frequently, so a second adapter would provide fewer benefits.)

FWIW, if you want to keep the J1772 adapter "permanently" mounted to the J1772 handle, you might want to check out my holster adapter design. It's a 3D-printable object that lets you mount a Tesla plug or J1772 handle plus Tesla adapter in a J1772 holster. A caveat: I designed it for a Clipper Creek holster. I expect it should work with other designs, but I've not tested it with a ChargePoint EVSE and its built-in holster.

TW14 9LF

2nd EV
Oct 28, 2018
SoCal
Unless you need your ChargePoint EVSE at home to charge another EV, why not remove it, put a standard connector where the wiring comes into it, and use the Tesla connector? Then sell the EVSE to somebody with a non-Tesla EV. That's what I did when I got rid of my Focus BEV. I had a GE Wattstation that I paid $450 for new. I sold it in about 24 hours for $325 on Craigslist.

Keith

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
I bought my M3 a month ago and the adapter came with it.
I keep it in the car at all times. Contrary to what you might read, it's really not very complicated or difficult to hook/unhook it. Literally takes less than one second.

toolman335

Oct 3, 2019
Rochester
I just looked on Tesla's website and on this item it says "This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle."

Don't leave the showroom without one!

Reactions: mrau

Kilotango74

Apr 2, 2019
Palmdale, CA
Unless you need your ChargePoint EVSE at home to charge another EV, why not remove it, put a standard connector where the wiring comes into it, and use the Tesla connector? Then sell the EVSE to somebody with a non-Tesla EV. That's what I did when I got rid of my Focus BEV. I had a GE Wattstation that I paid $450 for new. I sold it in about 24 hours for $325 on Craigslist.

Keith
Easy.............I rent

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC