TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are Charge Settings Retained?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by James Anders, May 6, 2016.

1. James Anders

James Anders Member

Sorry, for a newbie question.

Looks like I'm stuck with a NEMA 6-20 240VAC connection.

Getting the Tesla Adapter cable from EVSE Adapters.

I understand I'll need to throttle down to 16A. Do I need to manually set that each time or will the car remember last setting or set preference by GPS locale?

Thanks in advance.
    Jim

2. David99

David99 Active Member

Yes the car remembers your position and what you set as a limit for that location and will keep it set like that next time you come.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

That's true except when it isn't. The car has been known to lose that setting, either when there's a GPS location error or after firmware updates. So don't trust it. Always check to make sure the car has the amps set correctly.

Actually an easier and safer solution is to use the UMC 5-20 adapter with it. Then the car does automatically set for 16A (at 240V) because of the 5-20.

4. James Anders

James Anders Member

I noticed that on the Tesla store page the 5-20 adapter is for 120VAC. I assume it's also OK to use in my 6-20 receptacle at 240V?

5. miimura

miimura Active Member

By design, the 5-20 plug won't fit in the 6-20 receptacle. The vertical and horizontal blades are opposite. You need to make a short adapter cable. See this well written guide made by another forum member. The "Motel Air Conditioner" section covers the 6-20.

http://cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf

6. James Anders

James Anders Member

Yes indeed. I double checked and you're correct. I've attached photos of Tesla's 5-20 adapter and what I believe to be my 6-20 receptacle in my garage. I was also told that the 5-20 Tesla adapter will fit into my receptacle. Sigh....

NEMA in garage.jpg NEMA_5-20_large.jpg

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

EVSEadapters makes a 5-20R to 6-20P adapter for this purpose for Teslas. That's what I was referring to when I said to use the Tesla 5-20 adapter so you don't have to dial down the amps.

8. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

You don't use it in the outlet directly. You use the 5-20R to 6-20P adapter from EVSEadapters that they sell for this purpose (at my suggestion).

9. miimura

miimura Active Member

I didn't see it on their site because you have to go to the 14-50R to 6-20P product page and choose the 5-20R option. Hope that helps someone find it. Personally I would DIY the adapter from hardware store parts.