Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are cops lenient on Model 3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First day I took delivery, I got pulled over in my Model 3 dual motor. I guess I was having a victory run for my first car, and I was excited to try out the acceleration. And I got carried away, and gunned every intersection that turned green, to feel the launch.

When I got pulled over, the police said something like he saw me gunning it every intersection, but he saw once I got to 70mph, I would stop speeding and come to a cruising speed. And for whatever reason, he gave me a warning, even though I truly felt he had the power to **** my day and just give me a speeding ticket. I guess he was a cool cop, and he was interested in the car, asking about EVs and Teslas.

When I had the BMW M3, I did a warning once when i got pulled over for cruising up to 90mph on an empty freeway. But then I got pulled over once by a CHP who was sitting on the side of the highway just looking to write speeding tickets. Only doing 80mph on this two lane highway that was empty, and I was in neutral going downhill.

I had my doubts of the Model 3 thinking its more prone to speeding tickets because it accelerates so fast. But also I realize having autopilot can help keep your car at legal speeds since you will be less tempted to speed, maybe the human mind wants to drive faster to get home faster.

I'm not really sure if cops really pick on sports cars or do they treat all cars equally? If that same cop saw me driving the BMW M3 the same way I did with the Model 3, I don't know if he would be down to give me a warning. But then, I would really be pushing my BMW M3 really hard if I accelerated it at every stop light, while the Model 3 does it like no big deal.

...I got pulled over once by a CHP who was sitting on the side of the highway just looking to write speeding tickets. Only doing 80mph on this two lane highway that was empty, and I was in neutral going downhill.
This is not the officer's fault ...

I had my doubts of the Model 3 thinking its more prone to speeding tickets because it accelerates so fast.
This is not the car's fault...

I got pulled over a month ago for "Estimated speeding" when I had a little fun on an interstate on ramp. I'm pretty sure he was only looking for drunk drivers as it was midnight on a Saturday. He asked for license & registration and if I was drinking. He never ran my information, just told me to take it easy as the ramps are getting a little slick. Three minutes later I was on my way with no warning or anything.

Reactions: C141medic
it's really to the officer's discretion, but it is a source of revenue.

But also I realize having autopilot can help keep your car at legal speeds since you will be less tempted to speed, maybe the human mind wants to drive faster to get home faster.
It's so easy (and efficient) to set EAP to +5mph and stay in right/middle lanes! I've never driven so legally in quite a while...

it's so easy (and efficient) to set EAP to +5mph and stay in right/middle lanes! I've never driven so legally in quite a while...

Agree! And it really paints a picture on just how bad other drivers are too. 70 MPH speed limits here mean nothing to most. I set anywhere from 75 to 78 to keep up with the flow of traffic, and people are still flying past me weaving in and out of traffic like they are at the Indy 500. And that right there is my concern with Autopilot in moderate traffic.

Reactions: C141medic and Dre78
I was pulled over for turning right on red, where it was posted not to. I just didn't see the sign, but I was cool about it and acknowledged it and the Officer was cool about it also.
While he was at my car, he noticed that I didn't have any inspection/emissions stickers on my windshield and asked me about it. I said that I thought that EVs didn't need any stickers. SInce he wasn't sure what the law was for EVs, he just let me go on all counts.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
I was in a small town this weekend that most likely has never had a Tesla in it. How would everyone grade this stop or non-stop?

Cop: You didn't stop all the way for that stop sign back there.
Me: I'm sure my speed said zero, I will have to check the video.
Cop: I'm going to give you a verbal warning. Does this car really have video?

I was in a small town this weekend that most likely has never had a Tesla in it. How would everyone grade this stop or non-stop?

I don't remember the last time I came to a full stop AND waited that extra 1.5 second like you did haha. Definitely a full stop by you, in my eyes.

Certainly nice to have the proof. Would rather not have to go to court to use it though. Would be nice if we could playback in the car. In some states like PA, I believe you have to be fully stopped for 2 sec to be totally legal. Glad it worked out for you.

That was an honest-to-goodness full and complete stop. Looks like the police officer was just wanting to write a ticket, but then hesitated once you mentioned you would have video proof of the stop. He'd look like a complete fool in traffic court when you present that evidence. Certainly explains his back pedaling.

Reactions: Ezri10
I'm not really sure if cops really pick on sports cars or do they treat all cars equally? If that same cop saw me driving the BMW M3 the same way I did with the Model 3, I don't know if he would be down to give me a warning. But then, I would really be pushing my BMW M3 really hard if I accelerated it at every stop light, while the Model 3 does it like no big deal.

If you were accelerating the same way with your BMW, everyone in a 3 block radius would know you were pushing the car, and 90% of them would be annoyed by the noise.

I don't think cops are specifically giving Teslas a break - but I do think the fact that you don't wake the neighborhood when you go to have a little fun keeps them from noticing it as much, which has the effect of you not getting written up as often, or as strongly when you are caught.

Needs more testing..

That kinda looks like you stopped a bit after the sign. 100% a full stop, but maybe he was referring more to where you stopped, not that you did stop.

The video almost makes it look like you stopped a little past the sign. If this is the case though, we are talking SUPER nitpicky cop right there.

That kinda looks like you stopped a bit after the sign. 100% a full stop, but maybe he was referring more to where you stopped, not that you did stop.

The video almost makes it look like you stopped a little past the sign. If this is the case though, we are talking SUPER nitpicky cop right there.

I got pulled over once for "speeding". The cop claimed I was doing 35 in a 25. I explained to her that there was a sign clearly posted that said 35. I knew that because I saw her and put on my cruise control to ensure I was going exactly the speed limit. She had some other cop go check for the sign. When she came back she said she was letting me go with a "warning" on the speed but cited me for not using my blinker when she pulled me over. :rolleyes: B*tch just wanted to write a ticket for something to meet her quota.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and JasonR67
Back in the day I drove a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE... If I accreted in that, like I do with my Model 3p (where appropriate), I'd have gotten a stack of tickets. I am confident the lack of wheel squeal and exhaust roar helps..

I also agree that it's super easy to set TACC to +7 and call it good. The speed limit reminder chime helps as well.

Adding: as further proof. The guy I bought the car from got a ticket for "Excessive noise; to wit rapid acceleration"