Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are CPO prices negotiable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better check out the tax implications. Some have posted on this forum that CA will charge you sales tax. I have no first hand knowledge though.

Yeah, I got the response email that said I would have to pay taxes there AND here if I did that, as California has no tax reciprocity. Although I love In 'n Out, I will have to get my 4x4 animal style at another point in time.

I wondered if buying CPO (used) makes you pay sales tax for autos in CA going out of state. I wondered if it was only for new vehicles. But I don't know either way....

The basic law is that if a car's tires touch the ground in CA after it changes hands, tax is owed to CA for the transaction (used or not). There are actually flat bed tow companies that will truck your car to the border of CA and drop it off in NV, OR, or AZ to avoid this. It's less of an issue with private sales, but dealers have to obey.

• Informative
Reactions: kwjayhawk
Better check out the tax implications. Some have posted on this forum that CA will charge you sales tax. I have no first hand knowledge though.

My car is sitting in San Francisco. There seems to be enough cars coming to Chicago that they should be able to fill up a truck soon.
This is true. Even if you live out of state, if you take delivery of your vehicle in California, then you will have to pay California's sales tax rate. Also, one of the things you may be able to save money on is the car delivery fee ($1500 I believe). I was able to get it waived for my car, but I was also willing to wait until a similarly equipped vehicle came up for sale on the east coast.

• Informative
Reactions: kwjayhawk
jeepn30- Picked mine up last saturday-10/8- 1100 miles later...still smiling- it'll totally be worth the wait
I just picked mine up today.....it just seems so surreal that I drove it home and it's mine. I took the family out for a spin when I brought it home. The kids loved it, and were fighting over who is sitting in the rear facing seats. It's truly amazing how intuitive the car's functions seem.