TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Are current Model S/X upgradable to higher battery capacity in the future?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Quesder, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Quesder

Quesder Member

Here is a question that might have something to do with TESLA future revenue: is it possible for currently Model S/X to upgrade to larger battery after 10 years? Say, 10 years later, 130 kwh battery is only $20000, and my 10 year old 75D can upgrade to 130D? Any rumors of that?

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Current strategy has been to sell you a replacement car (for Model S)...

Roadster is a different story. The R (v3.0) upgrade brings a 1.5 to 2.5 Roadster up to 340ish range (from 245 originally)

3. doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat Supporting Member

Just want to add that while AEdennis is correct, It's technically possible and not incredibly complicated for Tesla to swap out model S and X battery packs. I could see them offering larger packs a few years after the model 3 is launched and the gigafactory is 100% built and operational.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Elon has suggested on various occasions that in a few years they will be selling battery upgrades, but it's all very fuzzy and there are no promises.

Of course, that won't get you AP2, or all the other enhancements they'll be introducing this year...

• Informative x 1
  5. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Interestingly, it seems like the mechanical swap is probably the easiest part, and the car's software configuration the harder part. Which honestly rather surprises me.

I would have expected that all of the pack-dependent vehicle configuration data:

-power draw curves
    -A/C charge curves
    -Supercharging curves
    -BMS parameters
    -Thermal management parameters
    -Regen parameters
    -Range estimation tables
    -etc...

would be stored in a pack-specific profile within the cars latest firmware. Upon detection of the pack installed, the car would then allow the appropriate subset of capability for that car's model designation.

So I would have expected that if a car built as a 60, suddenly detected a new 85kWh pack installed, it would have adjusted it's range calcs, BMS/charge time estimates, etc... accordingly.

I would NOT have expected that you would automatically get increased acceleration performance, etc... as that is tied to the model of the vehicle (In the same way that many P and non-P versions of cars have same packs, but different performance envelopes).

Instead, for the few folks I'm aware of that have managed to upgrade packs, there seemed to be some significant manual software reconfiguration involved. Not sure why. (cue @Ingineer....)

6. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

P90DL's can be upgraded to P100DL's by Tesla, although as far as I know no customer cars have been scheduled by Tesla for the upgrade yet.

So yes. At worst, via a 3rd-party battery. Also, if a 130kWh battery costs $20k in 10 years, the EV revolution has utterly failed.

7. Boourns

Boourns Member

I think in a tweet he said that you'd be able to drive your car forever and just keep upgrading the battery. But you know, he also said last week he is going to start a tunneling company, so take it with a healthy dose of sodium.

8. Petra

Petra Member

Unless I missed the memo about the Tesla suicide cult, I sure hope you meant sodium chloride... ;)

• Funny x 2
  9. Boourns

Boourns Member

Haha yes. Though I can't speak for those of you waiting for the AP2 update.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I think that someday battery upgrades to existing cars will be available but don't expect it to happen for a few years.

11. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

The battery pack is a major structural component of the vehicle and it seems that Tesla are moving from the 18650 cell format to 21700.

So I would imagine that an S/X upgrade beyond 100 kWh would involve significant effort /cost /time.

Not out of the question, but unlikely to be a priority for a while.

12. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

They did (maybe still do) offer to upgrade 85 owners to 90 packs for around $25000. But not all future packs will fit in current cars. And realistically, who is going to put a new $25000 pack into a decade old car that's worth quite a bit less than that.

I only see this becoming popular if the battery packs start getting really inexpensive - say less than 10K. The I could see Tesla, or perhaps some other 3rd party builders producing upgrade packs for older cars.

• Like x 1