Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Cyclone wheels directional?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the Cyclone Wheels are professed to be more range efficient, I assumed they would be "directional" so the angle of the "blade" is the same on each side of the car.

On my new 85D that is not the case. I can only assume there is only one Cyclone wheel and not a "left" and a "right" side wheel.

It is more an issue of aesthetics than function. A number of rim manufactures actually invest in multiple molds so that the left and right sides are "directionaly" correct. Look at Vossen CVT rims for example. Given the volume of turbines Tesla ships, it still surprises me that they only produce the rims going in one direction making one side of the car look directionaly incorrect.

There used to be an Aero wheel option, which were specifically marketed as providing 3-5% greater range in highway driving:

attachment.php?attachmentid=30310.jpg

They were discontinued due to lack of demand. Turns out Tesla owners care a lot more about how their car looks than about how far it can go on a charge.

OP - great question and since there aren't Left and Right like you pointed out, there is no way they can be helpful from an aerodynamic perspective. I prefer the 5-star standard rims for simplicity and they will show off the red caliper covers I'm getting from EVANNEX too!

The turbine wheels are cool - but not $2,500 cool. Sorry. That's just too much for that set of rims - tires are the same as the standard, I would assume.

mgboyes, thanks for the pic. Those Aero wheels are ugly - IMHO.

I just recently noticed this, too. On the left side, the wheels are as I would expect, but on the right side, they are opposite. In order for the aerodynamics to be true, they would need to have left and right version wheels, but it looks like just the left side is correct. Somewhat disappointing, but maybe that still gets the advertised 2% range increase.

OP - great question and since there aren't Left and Right like you pointed out, there is no way they can be helpful from an aerodynamic perspective.

The cyclones are about 2% more efficient than the standard wheels, simply because they have a flatter face and perturb the air less as it flows over them.

Sure, a set of directional cyclones might be even more efficient, but that doesn't preclude the non-directional ones also being an improvement.

And the (hideous!) aero wheels are even better.

- - - Updated - - -

What amazes me is that the design studio shows both the cyclones and turbines as being directional (and always has AFAIK). Personally I'd just demand at the point of delivery that they supply what they showed you when you ordered.

2015-10-01_11h11_38.png
2015-10-01_11h11_26.png