Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Dual Motor 3 rear motors basically RWD 3 rejects?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the motors are effectively the same, with Ps being the best of the bunch (but we have no real data about how much the binning actually means in real terms -- I don't expect it's much of a difference). The limits on the AWD car are pretty much entirely software.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Given the P3 and RWD 3 have the same rear output I have been wondering if the standard dual motor cars are getting rejects that didn't make the cut for RWD or P series 3. What do you think?

We just don't know. At least once person thinks that Tesla uses a custom version of the invertor that has a few of the MOSFETs removed which would reduce the cost and power output.

Someone needs to get an AWD car and wreck it so that @Ingineer can get it at auction cheap and pull it apart for us. ;)

Given the P3 and RWD 3 have the same rear output I have been wondering if the standard dual motor cars are getting rejects that didn't make the cut for RWD or P series 3. What do you think?
no
What they are doing is the reverse of that.
The motor design and manufacturing has the ability to produce motors that perform better, so they're selecting those for P cars.
If you want to label that as "everything else is a reject", that's your prerogative.
Personally I don't have that negative slant.

Reactions: M109Rider
no
What they are doing is the reverse of that.
The motor design and manufacturing has the ability to produce motors that perform better, so they're selecting those for P cars.
If you want to label that as "everything else is a reject", that's your prerogative.
Personally I don't have that negative slant.

It is possible Tesla is triple binning the motors:

1) Highest performing to the Model 3 P
2) OK performing to the Model 3 RWD
3) Lowest performing to the Model 3 AWD

For the rear motors the EPA specs show 211kW for the P and RWD and only 188 kW for the AWD. Why/how is the AWD 11% lower? Is it the lowest performing motors, just software limited, or are MOSFETs removed from the inverter. We.Just.Don't.Know.Yet.

I think that is untrue, and frankly ridiculous. If you think that is the case you need to provide evidence to back up such an assertion. WIthout evidence, your post is nonsense.

I think that is untrue, and frankly ridiculous. If you think that is the case you need to provide evidence to back up such an assertion. WIthout evidence, your post is nonsense.
Elon tweeted that they're putting the best motors in the Performance version. Logically that means they're putting the worst motors in the LR and AWD.
I doubt there's much difference though. The only evidence other than his tweet is that the AWD has lower rated output power.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA

I have no idea. I am just looking at the possibilities given the RWD 3 and P 3 have the same rear motor power. If the P3 rear motor had a higher KW rating then the RWD it would make more since they are binning.

IMHO taking a motor that is running at 211 KW then putting it in another model and running it at max 211 KW doesn't really sound like binning to me. Binning normally results in a motor with a different rating and well, the standard dual motor is the one not like the others. (I have a dual motor on order so I think I am entitled to wonder about it)

I'm going off the assumption that EPA information is correct.

• Love
Reactions: rluciano
Motors are designed to spec. There is always a tolerance on what is considered acceptable, performance is going to be no different. If a motor is put on a vehicle it has met the specifications and is rated to operate within it's designed limits.

Going on the assumption that the motors in all model 3 vehicles are the same design, I don't see any way that the RWD and AWD-P motors are "better" than the non-P AWD cars. Non-P cars are software limited, that is the only way that the power rating for the rear motor is the same on RWD and AWD-P. Having a common drive unit design/architecture across all variants makes the most sense from a cost perspective.

Probably overthinking this a little. You buy a car to a spec, that’s what you get.

Fair, so far all of Tesla's stated 0-60 to times have been proven to be pretty accurate, how Tesla accomplishes it those times is probably irrelevant.

I think the endless speculation about the motors is due to:
1) most of us don't have our cars yet and so have nothing to do late at night but speculate about things we have almost no info.
2) people that ordered a PAWD want to feel that there are some hardware differences that make their car intrinsically better than the others rather than having the same car with some different feature flags/bits set.
3) people that ordered an AWD like the idea that the AWD and PAWD are physically the same and there might some day be a paid performance option for them.

I'm personally in camps 1&3, can't wait for ingineer to tear appart a AWD and PAWD to finally put this to bed. Though even if they are identical, there are plenty of reasons why tesla would never offer a AWD upgrade anyway, they'd probably rather you trade it in and buy a new PAWD.

I’d be more worried about panel gap/fit and finish since they’ve all built in the same tent by the same workers.

Hope the have higher standards in QC with such $15000 premiums.

Last time I visited Fremont Factory, I didn’t notice they store motors in different racks. They’ve just sit there waiting to be installed.

Reactions: adaptabl
Fair, so far all of Tesla's stated 0-60 to times have been proven to be pretty accurate, how Tesla accomplishes it those times is probably irrelevant.

I think the endless speculation about the motors is due to:
1) most of us don't have our cars yet and so have nothing to do late at night but speculate about things we have almost no info.
2) people that ordered a PAWD want to feel that there are some hardware differences that make their car intrinsically better than the others rather than having the same car with some different feature flags/bits set.
3) people that ordered an AWD like the idea that the AWD and PAWD are physically the same and there might some day be a paid performance option for them.

I'm personally in camps 1&3, can't wait for ingineer to tear appart a AWD and PAWD to finally put this to bed. Though even if they are identical, there are plenty of reasons why tesla would never offer a AWD upgrade anyway, they'd probably rather you trade it in and buy a new PAWD.
It would be great if someone could also answer the VIN question. If the motors are different doesn't the VIN have to reflect that? Because as it stands right now there is no differentiation for the Model 3 where there is one for the S and X.