Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are electric window tint and a rear video screen advisable/achievable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TLDR: I'd like electric tinting on all glass and a rear monitor that mirrors the touchscreen display but I don't know if it's even possible let alone advisable. Any relevant input would be appreciated.

I camp in my M3 a LOT. Couple things I have noticed is that playing games or watching movies on the touchscreen hurts my neck because looking down like that is not especially ergonomic. What's more doing either from the bed in the back is at best problematic and only gets worse if there are two people attempting it. In addition stargazing/storm watching at night through the tinted roof glass is almost pointless. Up till now I have mostly ignored the video and gaming features for this reason and I tend to try and find places where I can stargaze and storm watch from the driver's seat.

what would for me at least fix this is if I could >choose< to untint the roof glass (because during normal use that tinted roof is imho absolutely necessary) and if there were a rear screen to watch movies/play games on. I however barely know the first thing about how to accomplish any of that and I don't know if the knowledge is worth persuing on my own or if this would be better handled as the joe mode was for the chimes.
Do any of you nice folk know of a way to accomplish electric window tint on the roof windscreen and windows so that the car can operate as normal, ensure darkness and privacy while camping, and turn off completely for stargazing/storm watching at night? I know electric tint exists but I also know there is somewhat unusual engineering in the current glass roof and I have no idea if it would be advisable to lose that for this goal.
Further, is there a way to install a screen in the back dash that would at a minimum mirror the touch screen if not extend control as well? Ideally it would fold down into the back dash when not in use and then raise up when I wanted to watch a movie or play games while laying down in the bed with my feet in the trunk and my head in the back seat and not extend below the level of the dash so as to not eliminate the possibility of side sleeping.

my current work arounds include:
storm watch/stargaze through the side windows (decent for cuddling but not the best possible view)
watching videos on my phone set on the back dash so the video reflects off the rear tint and plays through the car speakers (results in a phone sized and mirror flipped image that imho is almost worse than just holding the phone up the whole time)
in addition if it helps the bed I have referred to is the dreamcase bed out of Europe that folds out over the rear seats and I am considering their privacy blinds as a future purchase which is what spawned this question/post

Reactions: CheapBastid