Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Elon's COVID rants affecting how you think about your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This Washington Post article suggests that people are rethinking their relationship with Tesla due to Elon's rants about the coronavirus lockdowns and restarting Tesla's Fremont factory.

Anyone here having those thoughts? I'll admit, I wish he would just pipe down and stop acting like a troll. I love my Model 3, but I wonder about how much damage he's doing to the brand.

This Washington Post article suggests that people are rethinking their relationship with Tesla due to Elon's rants about the coronavirus lockdowns and restarting Tesla's Fremont factory.

Anyone here having those thoughts? I'll admit, I wish he would just pipe down and stop acting like a troll. I love my Model 3, but I wonder about how much damage he's doing to the brand.
He’s definitely an innovator and I still love the product but I agree that sometimes Elon needs to listen to his inner voice and keep things to himself. Like the past few weeks ago when he tweeted that he felt the price of the stock was too high and shortly after that the stock went down erasing any gains from a positive earnings report.

I was assured that Musk is a genius who knows more about science than anyone else on earth and is the savior of human existence. I'm not sure how he could be so right about climate alarmism and the survival of the species, on the one hand, and be so wrong about virus alarmism and the survival of the species, on the other hand. Could it be that his genius, for many here, is only genius when it comports with the alarmism and political agenda of the fanbois?

I like Tesla cars but definitely less tolerance for Musk rants. Vanity and ego seem to override sound logic and reasoning for him too often. The pre-hair transplant Musk definitely seemed more mature. I hope that Musk returns soon. Or he could go full Howard Hughes then Tesla should become independent of him sooner rather than later.

Toyota reopened US operations the same day as Tesla did. Why isn't the WaPo kicking them in the nads? Elon left the reservation. He's straying into non-partisanship and that is unforgivable.

Reactions: Seth2020 and SSedan
Ask yourself why the WaPo and NYT feel a need to cover this as if it were news.
When other CEOS express support of progressive causes it is not news. But Elon expresses libertarian leanings and it needs to be covered wall to wall? They have an agenda... and it is not one that benefits you

Elon makes himself the news. That is why they cover it. No conspiracy theory agendas needed.

I always expect he's tweeting for himself not the company. And rethinking my thoughts on the product just because I don't agree with the personally held views of the CEO could become tiring quickly if that's the new norm. You're never going to agree with everything anyone says or thinks, and nobody should be expected to get everything right their entire life.

However if a company acts unethically or advocates/lobbies action in opposition to my values that is entirely different. I'll vote with my feet/purchases when that occurs. I've changed power companies, insurers, excluded banks from refinance decisions, and car companies from future purchases. Tesla is not yet on my sh*t list.

Toyota reopened US operations the same day as Tesla did. Why isn't the WaPo kicking them in the nads? Elon left the reservation. He's straying into non-partisanship and that is unforgivable.

Toyota reopening didn't get the same attention from the media because Toyota reopened in compliance with local health laws.

Tesla, on the other hand, opened in violation of the orders of the local authorities, and Elon had a very public tantrum in order to try to get the local authorities to change their rules and orders. He also basically publicly dared the authorities to arrest him.

If a huge organization very publicly breaks a health and safety law, it's going to make news. If a private company holds itself above laws it disagrees with, that's going to make news. And if a company threatens to move thousands of jobs out of a state unless the laws are changed to its liking, that's going to make news.

Last edited:
He built a fleet of game changing cars.

the adoration and god-like reverance that americans give their ceo's kind of makes me sick, to be perfectly honest.

ceo's don't ship cars. they don't design them. they mostly tell others 'figure it out and make it work'.

he didn't build the cars, he didn't design them, and the credit really goes to those that work for sub-market rate, put up with elons BS and still put out a pretty decent car.

credit goes to those that do the work. he gave the money. there are lots of 'rich guys' out there. that does not earn my respect.

Reactions: InternetDude

Coronavirus: How Toyota is handling challenge of reopening Princeton, North American plants

The differences:

Toyota did not close down its auto plants because of a lockdown order.

Its reasons: "These reasons include a decrease in demand, supply chain disruptions and needing time to organize new safety measures."

It was voluntarily meant for 2 days and not 7 weeks until Monday, May 8th, 2020.

Tesla closed down because of the Alameda County lockdown order.

Unlike Toyota who seemed to emphasize the financial aspect, Tesla did seem to care about the health aspect as well as Elon Musk predicted:

"Based on current trends, probably close to zero new cases in US too by end of April"

So logically, when it's May 8th that has passed "end of April", Tesla might want to act on its prediction as if the prophet came true: the heath danger is over.

1a) Tesla then public defied the lockdown order and dared the authority to arrest the CEO.

1b) Tesla then sued the county with the Federal Court.

1c) Tesla then deliberately did not wait for injunctive relief from the court. It defied the court process and did what it wanted regardless.

All these lawlessness in 1a through 1c are news.

Law obedience from Toyota is just non-news.

Reactions: kpedraja