Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are folks getting a car to use while their car in for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled for the full self driving upgrade and got an email saying the car could be in the shop for a week. If I need to rent a car they will contact Enterprise. Are they or I paying for that?
My rental from Enterprise (not for this service) was paid by them but it was a rental from hell. It was a Model S with cloth seats - the seats were so miserably uncomfortable that I actually had to return it after 2 days for some junky ICE vehicle that at least was not torture to drive. I’ve sat in (though not driven) Model S cars with leather seats and found them to be quite comfortable. This particular Model S I absolutely could not tolerate.

Although my rental from Enterprise in Rocklin (next to Kniessel’s body shop) was purportedly free, dealing with the company and staff was a total nightmare that I will avoid them at all costs in the future.

Scheduled for the full self driving upgrade and got an email saying the car could be in the shop for a week. If I need to rent a car they will contact Enterprise. Are they or I paying for that?

if its in for a week, that's a red flag that they have no idea what they're doing and prob using your car for a guinea pig. My shop hadn't done one before either (before they did mine) but even then only took 1 day.

Scheduled for the full self driving upgrade and got an email saying the car could be in the shop for a week. If I need to rent a car they will contact Enterprise. Are they or I paying for
Loaner? What's a "loaner"? You mean one of those things they are always sorry they are out of?

Haven’t had a loaner in years. Uber credits only from Tyson’s in NoVa.

Exact same experience for me at the exact same location.

Both of my local service centers have a sane policy ....

Same day service gets Uber credits.
Planned overnight service gets a loaner vehicle.

This way they can, well, plan the loaner pool.

Makes logical sense to me.

This is UNBELIEVABLE!! This makes soooo much sense. Wow! You don't find policies like this very often these days!!

lol, a CAR to replace your CAR while they work on it? lol, what do you think this is? Jeep? who does that for my friend who bought a $30k car? Audi?

This is Tesla... they don't give you a car for your car... you get "uber credits" sometimes, but not always, and they are as useless as pogs. I bought a CAR because I needed a CAR. If it's unusable for reasons that are not my fault, it's reasonable to expect the use of a CAR.

Back in 2015-2017, you'd get a loaner just for sneezing inside your car. Now it's impossible and has extremely tainted my relationship with tesla.

Last edited:
New Tesla owner here and I’ve been a Lexus owner for the last 14 years. When I go in for any service at Lexus they always offer a loaner Lexus. Even two hour appointments. Bagels, doughnuts, espresso or latte. Tesla currently is the number one electric car in my opinion, however that can all change as Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW enter the market. Brand loyalty is critical to the long term success of any company.

New Tesla owner here and I’ve been a Lexus owner for the last 14 years. When I go in for any service at Lexus they always offer a loaner Lexus. Even two hour appointments. Bagels, doughnuts, espresso or latte. Tesla currently is the number one electric car in my opinion, however that can all change as Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, and BMW enter the market. Brand loyalty is critical to the long term success of any company.

Sorry to say, I’ve never bought my car for the bagels.

I guess that’s what $250 oil changes get you.

Our local Lexus dealer offers free car washes for Lexus owners one Sunday every month. The line backs up onto the highway. I can’t imagine spending 2 hours to save the $7, but hey - everyone values time differently.

My rental from Enterprise (not for this service) was paid by them but it was a rental from hell. It was a Model S with cloth seats - the seats were so miserably uncomfortable that I actually had to return it after 2 days for some junky ICE vehicle that at least was not torture to drive. I’ve sat in (though not driven) Model S cars with leather seats and found them to be quite comfortable. This particular Model S I absolutely could not tolerate.

Although my rental from Enterprise in Rocklin (next to Kniessel’s body shop) was purportedly free, dealing with the company and staff was a total nightmare that I will avoid them at all costs in the future.

As a side note I actually looked at adding another Tesla since Enterprise is having a lot of problems right now they have a lot of cars for sale. There was loads of Tesla's for sale, fairly recent model years, fairly low mileage. BUT the wear on the car was shocking, even if the car had 10 times the mileage. I don't know if people are just extra rough with Tesla rentals or Tesla's just don't hold up well at all in a rental environment.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Made my appointment right on time, the service writter said it might be able to be done today, so could I use a Uber Credit to go somewhere local? or do I want to sit in the ewaiting room? I said i live 2 hours away, so that won't work. He said ok I'll get you a Enterprise car, we will pay, just replace the gas. Great. Got the rental, and when I left the service center he said should be done within 3-4 hours. So went to lunch and stopped to Costco, got a text, the car will be kept till tomorrow. So I headed home, no sooner had i pulled into the garage, got another text the car is done. Called the service center, got an answering machine and said thanks, but not driving back another 2 hours today, will return tomorrow, So if anyone needs to know they do give vehicles to use or Uber Credits. The rental is a 2020 Dodge Durango RT, not bad but NO TESLA!!.

A couple things to consider is dealers are not the manufacturer. The dealer sees servicing ICE vehicles as a profit center for them. Of course they are going to offer you many incentives to use their overpriced services. Warranty work is a paid service from the manufacturer to the dealer just like any other business transaction. That is why they are more than happy to do warranty work for you. Tesla warranty work is not a profit center. They don't have cars just waiting around for warranty work. But, I have had my SC in North Houston arrange ahead of time for me to have a loaner. They have at times informed me that all loaners have been reserved and if I wanted to push out a few days they would have one available. I have declined a time and received Uber credits and postponed and got a loaner. I think that is fair.

Reactions: GoCanes