Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are folks getting a car to use while their car in for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to say, I’ve never bought my car for the bagels.

I guess that’s what $250 oil changes get you.

Our local Lexus dealer offers free car washes for Lexus owners one Sunday every month. The line backs up onto the highway. I can’t imagine spending 2 hours to save the $7, but hey - everyone values time differently.

LOL, see, I would pay extra to AVOID the crowds! :D

Reactions: dmurphy
My MCU one screen went dead. I had already scheduled a service for the suspension. I got there about an hour before my appointment and they gave me what they said was the last loaner. Two and a half weeks later they finally finished my car. So I had the neutered p85 for that whole time. Almost identical to the car that I own. Worked for me! Then again, I've been sent home in an Uber a few times as well.

Reactions: E Dizzle
When loaner not available immediately, I postpone the appointment unless issue is critical: Hence, I've always gotten a loaner. Got my first neutered one here recently, but otherwise a nice car despite glacial supercharging speeds!

Uber credits simply don't work for me as I often go out to rural sites uber won't go to or won't respond to when I need to return.

right, and Tesla doesn't even have the van. In Reno, no loaners, just Uber credit.
I think I would rather have uber/lyft versus the van. I really don't want to get a scenic ride with other people these days.

But realistically I would just call my wife. And maybe she will come pick me up.:rolleyes:

Even though half the loaners are on the beat up side. I’d still rather have a loaner for freedom of use and convenience.

I am still of the opinion they should set aside an allocation of new cars for loaner use and then sell them at specified discounts *as new* like they do with showroom, test drive and demo cars now.

Yknow, like other mid-high end brands do!

When you purchase a Tesla, you are given no promise of free loaner cars when you are in for service. What you get will depend on the current policy at the moment, and the availability of cars to the service center.

They cannot give you a car they do not have available. They are not contractually obligated to give you a free loaner, and they are not contractually obligated to even give you Uber/Lyft credits.

When they provide you with free transportation, it is provided as good will and they can provide as they see fit. You have no right to demand free transportation when your car is in for service.

If they are out of loaner cars, they cannot make them magically appear because you conjure up some story on how it is essential that you get a Tesla loaner (or even enterprise ICE)

Elon has stated his desires and expectations, but his desires are not contractual obligations.

When you purchase a Tesla, you are given no promise of free loaner cars when you are in for service. What you get will depend on the current policy at the moment, and the availability of cars to the service center.

They cannot give you a car they do not have available. They are not contractually obligated to give you a free loaner, and they are not contractually obligated to even give you Uber/Lyft credits.

When they provide you with free transportation, it is provided as good will and they can provide as they see fit. You have no right to demand free transportation when your car is in for service.

If they are out of loaner cars, they cannot make them magically appear because you conjure up some story on how it is essential that you get a Tesla loaner (or even enterprise ICE)

Elon has stated his desires and expectations, but his desires are not contractual obligations.

Someone got triggered lol. They may not have a contractual obligation, but because of crap quality cars end up being out of commission FOR SOME people often. I have never been stranded by a Mercedes or a BMW ever.

I see you live in CA, I do too. I have 5 service centers around me, closest is 4 miles away. Yeah, I can pay for my own uber to get home. What about a guy in rural Montana with SC 300 miles away? What should he do?

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
traditionally if you needed to drop off a car for service, you would have someone bring you home or to work. You could rent a car, or use another vehicle you might own or have access to.

Customers have little knowledge just how expensive it is for a service center to provide a huge fleet of courtesy vehicles for their customers.

With the complications, liability and risks currently with Covid, I imagine there are tremendous pressures to no longer coddle their customers with loaners.

traditionally if you needed to drop off a car for service, you would have someone bring you home or to work. You could rent a car, or use another vehicle you might own or have access to.

Customers have little knowledge just how expensive it is for a service center to provide a huge fleet of courtesy vehicles for their customers.

With the complications, liability and risks currently with Covid, I imagine there are tremendous pressures to no longer coddle their customers with loaners.

Service turned to crap in my area way before COVID. I am not sure where you are getting "traditionally" from, but I've been driving for almost 30 years and all my high-end car companies always offered and still are offering loaners if the car is kept overnight. I had to leave my wife's G550 MBZ overnight for battery replacement in May and was given a loaner (during COVID). They charged me $10 disinfection fee for both my car and a loaner, which was fine with me.

What adds insult to injury is that service used to be the best. Top notch service is one major thing that attracted me to Tesla in 2016. I thought that even if the car has issues, SC will eventually take care of it. And they did! But no longer.

Agreed. When I purchased my first Tesla I was treated to a very VIP experience. Welcomed by an employee, sat down in the lounge, offered snacks and coffee. Was able to walk around in the repair area and the excited technicians were eager to chat up a customer. Everybody was relaxed and the facility was obviously over staffed.

I would be introduced to the manager, the technician that was to be working on my car and if necessary check in with Alexi who would offer me a selection of available Tesla to take home.

They had just introduced Ranger service and I was informed that instead of bringing my car in, they would come to me for many services.

Of course, things are different now. With over 1 Million Tesla on the road, service has gotten very busy and at times overwhelmed. Communication is via messaging and phones are not answered. Very little chit chat or coddling. Just get you in and out as efficiently and cost effectively as possible.

While I lament the reduction in personal service, I rejoice in how much better the cars have become. Longer range, faster charging, better handling, more selection, nice interiors etc. Fit & finish of course are still not up to the Europeans, but for many, what lies underneath the body panels is what really matters the most. The poor panel gaps are more of an Ego thing than something the really effects the wonder of all Electric Drive.

No need to keep beating the same old horse. Fit & Finish are not the best, service has gotten busier, and loaner cars are not awaiting many service customers.

Tesla: sorry, we're all out of loaners
Me: what about those cars in the back....

Tesla: um...I don't think you want those..those have a limited top speed..
Me: gimme gimme gimme

Tesla: ......
Me:

RemoteFrightenedHarlequinbug-size_restricted.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Vaillant