Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are folks getting a car to use while their car in for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because YOU don't like the vendor they've chosen for this service, it's disrespectful?

It's like going to a Cadillac dealer and saying "I'm not getting in your GMC van!"

I don't doubt you've had service issues... but texts aren't disrespectful. Uber isn't disrespectful. That reeks of DYKWIA - respect goes two ways ...

Allow me to clarify: I have no dislike for Uber.
I bought a $80,000 car. If, it's Tesla's fault I can not use that car, I need a car to replace it.
While I would prefer a Tesla loaner, any reasonable vehicle would be better than nothing. Uber, in my area, and for the purposes of replacing a car, has no value.

Text messaging is not disrespectful.
Once a day, passive aggressive, get nothing done, no information provided texting is disrespectful to me, my time, and my wallet. Issues that can be discussed and have a course of action identified within 5 minutes on the phone take tesla days to weeks. When I respond to them, it's within minutes. I hear nothing then for days. That's disrespect. I will not communicate with them in this fashion ever again. To the point where no, my next car will not be a tesla. When I have an issue, it needs discussed, and a course of action identified. Every car dealer on the planet has one thing tesla doesn't. A phone number. It's not a difficult ask.

I agree, and I admit that my expectations are shaded by my local SC policies...

- Same-day service gets Uber credits.
- Planned overnight work get loaners.

And that's why I'm not opposed to Uber credits instead of a shuttle van. I don't expect a loaner for same-day service - providing a shuttle service (whether it's Uber or dude-in-van) makes sense for same-day to me. Multi-day, yes, loaners should be provided.

I apologize to yourself & @SabrToothSqrl for not clarifying that. I've got no issue with Uber credits for same-day work, where a traditional dealership would use a shuttle. Beyond that - yes - wholly agree on a loaner vehicle. I think the above policy is fair to all parties - it's fair for the customer, and also helps the SC plan their loaner pools & appointments accordingly.

No apology needed, I've use a shuttle from dealers, and I'm fine w/that approach if the time/distance works.

I don't see why they couldn't. I do brakes and hubs in my own garage. More a matter of if they want to crawl around on the ground to do the work. I don't own a lift (someday!), so I have no choice. but If I did, I'd use a lift and save my back.

And for anyone wondering, yes, of course I want tesla to succeed, but do that, they need repeat customers in addition to new... a $35/day loaner car goes a long way towards customer relations.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I dropped my car off for my MCU/FSD Computer upgrade and it wasn't a problem to get a loaner. It's an 09/14 60 kwh locked to 85mph in chill mode, but it's a car and I'm happy. I wasn't looking forward to climbing into an unknown car with a stranger to get back home. I had to wait ~15m for them to clean it, but that's not the end of the world.

Regarding parts, I noticed they're now sending me update emails on what parts they ordered and where they are. I had confirmation that the SC had all my parts on Aug 3 or so. I feel like communication on that front is getting better at least.

I've had my model X for a bit over 2 years now and while service still leaves something to be desired, my personal experience is that if anything, it's improved some.

Just got $500 worth of Uber credits. Taking advantage of it by getting Uber Black and being chauffeured around in style. Only wish I could use the credits for Uber eats.

Probably would’ve been cheaper to just give loaners instead.
I don't think it is about cost, it is more about inventory. They are not a dealership and have inventory just sitting on the lot. If fact, there is not concept of a "lot" in their sales model.

• Funny
What does this mean? Consider that a pre-facelift S tends to go for about the same as your average new or lightly usd model 3 ....Snip.....
what do you expect, pre-facelift S has the notorious MCU 1 failures going on, which cost thousands - Who would pay premium $ for a car with a known gernaid. Tesla looks on these failing cars as clogging the SC, plus the SC's don't want to fool with you because Tesla wants owners to believe that if many MCU's die immediately or shortly after warranty expiration - that this is normal & if they were to comp YOU one, and a few other people, then they'd have to do it for everyone. Plus - they've shortened the warranty after replacement ..... when tesla ought to be bending over backwards instead of bending over so many Once Upon a Time enthusiastic customers. you think your shiny new model 3 is going to retain value? Just wait until it's 3 or 4 years old, & you have your own set of grenades that you have to fight the SC over. makes me wonder if that 4 year old model 3 will be on par with the cost of a 4-year-old Camry.

• Funny
what do you expect, pre-facelift S has the notorious MCU 1 failures going on, which cost thousands - Who would pay premium $ for a car with a known gernaid. Tesla looks on these failing cars as clogging the SC, plus the SC's don't want to fool with you because Tesla wants owners to believe that if many MCU's die immediately or shortly after warranty expiration - that this is normal & if they were to comp YOU one, and a few other people, then they'd have to do it for everyone. Plus - they've shortened the warranty after replacement ..... when tesla ought to be bending over backwards instead of bending over so many Once Upon a Time enthusiastic customers. you think your shiny new model 3 is going to retain value? Just wait until it's 3 or 4 years old, & you have your own set of grenades that you have to fight the SC over. makes me wonder if that 4 year old model 3 will be on par with the cost of a 4-year-old Camry.
I'll probably be on my next one by then. My only hesitation going forward is no dimming mirrors on Y/New 3's.

This is true. What Tesla does well is builds great electric vehicles with advanced electronics. They have a unique captive World Wide Supercharger Network that makes long distance trips possible.

They are not that great with panel fits, paint perfection, telephone chit chat and coddling.

Legacy dealerships are better with communications, but generally are self serving and want to maximize their service profits. Service is a huge profit center with the legacy dealerships and they work hard to keep you coming in to do constant maintenance and profitable warranty services. For Tesla the Service Centers are an expense item. Only makes sense that they would do what they can to reduce those expenses.

Last edited:
When you purchase a Tesla, you are given no promise of free loaner cars when you are in for service. What you get will depend on the current policy at the moment, and the availability of cars to the service center.

They cannot give you a car they do not have available. They are not contractually obligated to give you a free loaner, and they are not contractually obligated to even give you Uber/Lyft credits.

When they provide you with free transportation, it is provided as good will and they can provide as they see fit. You have no right to demand free transportation when your car is in for service.

If they are out of loaner cars, they cannot make them magically appear because you conjure up some story on how it is essential that you get a Tesla loaner (or even enterprise ICE)

Elon has stated his desires and expectations, but his desires are not contractual obligations.

OOOoooo a fanboy of Mr. overpromise and underdeliver. EVERY other luxury car dealer does loaners be they drive off the lot loaners or Enterprise loaners. But they dont have an obligation either, just a desire to practice customer service after the sale and garner customer loyalty to buy the brand. Tesla could care less once the sale is made.

HEY, Lets start a list.....

"we will take care of that after delivery"
"its with factory spec"
"it not related to what* is covered in the warranty" *Fill in the blank
"tech was unable to replicate fault"
"sound* was within normal range" *Fill in the blank
"aftermarket modifications (a phone charger*) could be the cause" *or fill in the blank
"That is a normal wear item, not covered"
"earliest we can see you (for your car being disabled) is 2 weeks"