TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are free nights Electric Companies worth it?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by FaceACA, Oct 4, 2016.

1. FaceACA

FaceACA Member

Has anyone done the math on if it makes sense for Tesla owners to switch to a free nights provider. I avg a total of 1800 KWH per month, some months being 800kwh and some being 4000kwh. (I drive ~40 miles per day)

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

You really need to do your own math, because the answer will be different based on your driving, what else is eating power, and how much of that you're willing/able to move to the free period (and of course the price of daytime power for both plans.)

40 miles per day is maybe 15 kWh from the wall - either 300 or 450 kWh per month, depending on weekends.

For the plan to make sense, the price on the rest of the power under the nights plan has to be less than the current price, unless you'd shift other things.

3. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

I've had TXU's free nights plan for 2.5 years and love it. It's been a little higher in the summer months, but it's kind of a fun game to get the bill lower and lower: I have both cars start charging at 9pm, my AC drops down to 68, my main pool cycle turns on, my delayed dishwasher and washer/dryer turn on, and we'll sometimes bake with the oven.

There's a huge spike of free electricity at 9 and it's all shut down by 6AM.