TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Are front license plate holders pre-installed?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by pshaffer, Sep 8, 2016.

1. pshaffer

pshaffer Member

My X is on it's way. I'm picking it up in a state that requires front license plates, but I live in a state that doesn't.

I'm really hoping that it is the clean front end without the holder, but since the car is finished it's probably too late to make a request.

Thoughts?

2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

It's my understanding that they don't install the front license, but are happy to do it when you pick up.

I live in a province where front license plates are mandatory and when I arrived to pick up my X, they asked me if I wanted to have them mounted and I said "no". I had purchased a "The Law" license plate holder that doesn't require drilling into the bumper. I took the chance and drove it 3 hours to a detailer and installed "The Law" when I returned to pick it up.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Contact your DS and clearly request that they do not install the front plate mount. I believe it is done at the Delivery Cenber or Showroom where you are picking up your car.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I wish they would come up with a Enhanced Model S like bracket for the X

5. passcore

passcore Member

I picked up mine about a month ago and it did not come with the front plate installed. The mounting bracket was kept in the trunk in case I needed to use it. Fortunately in GA we do not require front plates.

6. hmmm

hmmm Member

Mine came without it. The funny thing is that when I specifically asked my (junior) DS ahead of time to make sure the front plate wasn't there, her response was "sorry but the cars have to be delivered exactly in the configuration they were in when they passed the crash tests...". I thought that was cute.

Porsche handles that in a smart way for all parties involved: they give you the option, but if you don't want it installed and live in a state where it's mandatory, they have you sign a waiver.

7. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

Asked my DS about it. He confirmed that they do not come installed by default. I asked him specifically not to put mine on.

I had to sign a waiver to have them not installed on an ICE that I got last year.

8. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

Even in Colorado where the front plate is required, it was not installed when we picked up the car. Because other customers had asked to take delivery without the holder installed, the Denver SC asks the customer at pickup. We had the SC install ours while we did our walk-around.

9. nuevodesi

nuevodesi Member

Check out this picture posted by @docBliny taken at the Austin, TX SC. Appears that the two MSs have their front license plate preinstalled.

[​IMG]

10. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

I asked my DS to ensure that the front license plate was NOT installed. He said that they have to deliver it with the front license plate mounted as it was crash tested that way :) but can be removed easily post delivery and will not leave any ugly drill holes in the front fascia. Any insight from folks who have removed their preinstalled front license plate frames?

11. LuckyX

LuckyX Stormtrooper X60D, Autopilot, and Hitch

I just removed the front plate off a Model S which I would guess it's the same thing. There are 2 special bolts (star shaped non hex) under the front plate which I used right angles needle nose pliers. There on there but not very tight so it was easy. 2 front Phillips screws for the zero emissions plate. And a couple of smaller common screws. The entire assembly is stuck on the bumper with black double sided tape. I used a heat gun (low heat) to soften of the tape and slowly pulled off the plate holder. Overall time 15 mins. No residue or appearance that the holder was ever on the car.

• Informative x 2
  12. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

Thanks!

13. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Model-X front plate requires holes to be drilled through the front bumper. The new fascia Model-S has a better integrated solution that doesn't require holes in the bumper, and uses double-sided tape instead. I don't believe Tesla pre-installs the front license, even in places where it's required (like where I live). You can ask to have it installed at pickup and they'll do it in 10 minutes.

14. mspisars

mspisars Member

I do not think that information is correct. I believe it was confirmed that both the S + X are now using the taped front license plate holder...
    And they are removed the same way.

15. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Well, I can definitely say that on my X that was delivered at the end of June, it came with hardware to drill through the front bumper.

16. mspisars

mspisars Member

There better not be any holes in my X bumper (in production now) when I get it!

• Like x 1
  17. docBliny

docBliny Member

I'm here sitting at Tesla waiting for my pickup appointment to start in 15 mins. My DS just stopped by to ask what I want to do about the front license plate holder, i.e. whether I want them to install the default one or whether I'll pick up a 3rd party solution, such as "The Law" and take care of it myself.

That's what I call service!

//TB

• Like x 1
  18. travwill

travwill Member

I got "The Law" no drill mount for my X. Works fine again just like on S.

19. 90DPearl

90DPearl New Member

I installed the "Law" too but I am concerned about its impact to the air intake. When I tried to look inside the grill, I saw another plastic cover that seems to be a cover for whatever is behind. I remember when I installed it, there was no cover so it must be something that comes on and off. Can you post a picture of what's behind the grill when you installed the plate.

Also does anyone know if "Law" will interfere with the radar....don't know what the radar location is.

• Like x 1
  20. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I got a note from The Law folks that said their product did not interfere with the cooling or radar. You might want to double check with them.

So far I have not noticed anything unusual with my AP but ...