Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are future Superchargers more marketing than reality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me wrong. I love the Supercharging network and it makes it easy to travel to different parts of the country. Lately in the mid atlantic area, I have seen more superchargers pop up in areas not listed on the map, example Mt. Jackson in VA. There is construction in Fredericksburg, VA, but that isn't listed on map. In contrast, all the sites listed as future superchargers have gotten no traction. Perhaps they aren't listing in the Superchargers at Wawa stations and I am making a bigger deal? More Superchargers the better, but I have started to view the official Supercharger map as marketing.

Just because some of the Northern VA "coming soon" one's aren't yet in construction doesn't mean they aren't furiously building across the world.

Besides, I think we're pretty well covered here now. You can easily get from any points west to any points north and south and vice-versa. There is supposed to be a Super Charger at Fairfax Corner not 5 minutes from my house, but I can't really think of a reason to use it.

Just because some of the Northern VA "coming soon" one's aren't yet in construction doesn't mean they aren't furiously building across the world.

Besides, I think we're pretty well covered here now. You can easily get from any points west to any points north and south and vice-versa. There is supposed to be a Super Charger at Fairfax Corner not 5 minutes from my house, but I can't really think of a reason to use it.

I agree they are creating superchargers across the world. My view is more that across locations is not reality of where the charges are going to appear. I am not concerned with local superchargers as I never have a need to charge in the area.

I agree they are creating superchargers across the world. My view is more that across locations is not reality of where the charges are going to appear. I am not concerned with local superchargers as I never have a need to charge in the area.
I think it's very clear that most of the pins are "somewhere in this general area" and not exact locations. However I also believe that they show an intent to put something there as fast as possible.

-jim

The original theory for some of the NoVa ones was for 'urban' charging for the Model 3 influx for users that can't set up home charging, and I still think that's a good rationale. I don't think major usage will be 'travel' but there will be some, of course!

I think it's very clear that most of the pins are "somewhere in this general area" and not exact locations. However I also believe that they show an intent to put something there as fast as possible.

-jim
We've said many times that the pins are always (if you zoom in enough) on a map name for a town/city/neighborhood, etc. I think I've found one where that wasn't true ever. :D

The original theory for some of the NoVa ones was for 'urban' charging for the Model 3 influx for users that can't set up home charging, and I still think that's a good rationale. I don't think major usage will be 'travel' but there will be some, of course!

I remember having to use a Supercharger for about 10 days before my HPWC was installed at home. Supercharging was a pain and would really take away from the Tesla experience. I love not having to think about charging when I am not traveling.

Reactions: kingjamez
I would agree, why else do they make them look so cool? The model is changing as well, now that they charge for electricity, they can put SuC in more urban and downtown settings as well, rather than the usual outskirts of town like you've seen in the past. The cost of charging is so minor compared to the convenience of having them placed where you actually want to go. Can't wait to get one in our downtown. :D

Don't get me wrong. I love the Supercharging network and it makes it easy to travel to different parts of the country. Lately in the mid atlantic area, I have seen more superchargers pop up in areas not listed on the map, example Mt. Jackson in VA. There is construction in Fredericksburg, VA, but that isn't listed on map. In contrast, all the sites listed as future superchargers have gotten no traction. Perhaps they aren't listing in the Superchargers at Wawa stations and I am making a bigger deal? More Superchargers the better, but I have started to view the official Supercharger map as marketing.
I can offer a bit of perspective. When I took deliver of my model S there was no announcements of supercharging. There were no superchargers or maps of future locations. It was amazing when they announced that they would build those. For the longest time there were 6 in California and only 1 on the east coast, none in between, none in Europe, Middle East or Far East. I think you need to learn patience.

Reactions: David99
I think my initial post didn’t come off as intended. The point I was trying to make was not to take the timelines and locations as gospel on the Supercharger map. Tesla is working to expand as quickly as they can and future sites might not follow published timelines and others locations may pop up that aren’t listed. More superchargers the better!

I can offer a bit of perspective. When I took deliver of my model S there was no announcements of supercharging. There were no superchargers or maps of future locations. It was amazing when they announced that they would build those. For the longest time there were 6 in California and only 1 on the east coast, none in between, none in Europe, Middle East or Far East. I think you need to learn patience.

It is amazing to see the progress. Especially when dealing with power companies, local jurisdictions, etc

While Tesla may not be growing the supercharger network as fast as some would like when you compare the growth by year it's fairly impressive.

Tesla Supercharger GIF Map.gif

When I bought my car in August of last year there I had I think 3 locations I could reach and now have 6-7 and one of those sites was moved a little and doubled the number of chargers.
Seems to me they are filling in the blanks before they saturate the populated areas, which seems like a good idea to me.

Marketing? Absolutely, but they sure earned it. Nobody can not look at that time progressive map and not say "damn, that's amazing!" I can't imagine working with that many agency/municipalities to get that much work done in the short time they have done it. New owners take that for granted ( me included) until you realize the magnitude of the effort it took to bring the Supercharger network to where it is now.
Amazing.