Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are FWDs getting better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been getting a lot of questions about the X from friends who drive my S.

So far I've told them I'd be a bit hesitant to own FWDs out of warranty based on the early issues I've read about and my experience in a Tesloop last year where one door would only open 1/2 way and the other rattled.

Am I out of date? Are they much improved now?

Took delivery of my first X in Sept 2016. FWD failed to open when the door is overheated from the sun. I just took delivery of a new X made 03/2018. The passenger side FWD stops closing completely with obstacle detected error, almost everyday. Not as annoying as the previous issue but I will bring it in to have it checked.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Apart from a squeak no issues from mine, or from any of my friends.

Not sure if the FWD tech was ever modified too much. There was that one change about a year or two ago where they changed around some sensors and a redesigned seal to channel water.

Perhaps during mid 2017 something had changed, because literally everyone's FWD squeaked... Not sure though

Only a squeak with an easy fix. No issues and very happy with the FWD’s. I used to worry about the doors pre purchase but after experiencing them I am comfortable with them and don’t expect to have problems.

I've been getting a lot of questions about the X from friends who drive my S.

So far I've told them I'd be a bit hesitant to own FWDs out of warranty based on the early issues I've read about and my experience in a Tesloop last year where one door would only open 1/2 way and the other rattled.

Am I out of date? Are they much improved now?

Only had ours for a week but so far so good, they seem flawless. We have had to override the opening in parking garages because they do seem to be a bit conservative, but that is fine....better safe than sorry.

3/27 delivery. Flawless operation. As others mentioned- somewhat conservative openings when obstacles are near (but maybe not in any way a factor)- but Way better to be safe than sorry. Always open Always close when directed. No squeaks, noises or anything else and PERFECTLY aligned with the rest of the car. HAve NOT tested in rain yet so no knowledge of leaks or other issues. Have used the Xmas easter egg "dance mode" twice and doors really work well with that performance. Amazing car.

I have a question for those who mentioned "squeaks"
Is the sqeak a metal squeak or a rubber squeak from the window's or door's interaction with the elastomer seals?

I have recently received a 3/18 Model X that has been wonderful.

The only squeak I encountered was the passenger door window against the rubber/elastonmer seals while closing the
passenger door. This was the one inch of movement during opening and closing the passenger door.
I used a rubber product purchased from Amazon "Nextzett Gummi Pflege Stift."
The squeak is gone. It is a water based product... ($9.74 US)

Shawn

• Love
Reactions: Singularity
In the early days, Tesla and owners were learning how the FWD operated and their limitations. Tesla assumed drivers/owners would be as cautious opening their FWDs as conventional doors--looking for obstructions before opening the doors fully. This was not the case. A number of owners depended on the software and sensors to monitor the FWD in all cases, even when opening manually. Others demanded the FWDs to open fully in every case where the clearance was minimal. There were several SW iterations, including the "umbrella mode". Finally, Tesla adjusted the door and overhead sensors to be relatively cautious -- sensing any obstruction would require the driver passenger to open the doors to their full level manual an to accept the responsibility for over-riding. Since the last major change there have been little published instances here. Common sense prevailed, and owners became more familiar with the doors. These early iterations may have lead to the perception that there was a hardware reliability issue.

In terms of mechanical reliability, the FWD seem to be fairly robust. The "torsion springs" that counter-balance the weight are passive. There is occasionally some squeaks that are taken care of by the service center. I think the release of the Model X-mas, is indicative of their mechanical strength--although I use sparingly. In my 2+ years, my 2016 X had one FWD functional issue -- the door was slightly out of adjustment, and would occasionally sense an obstruction. They re-adjusted the door, and no more issues in the last 18 months.

Just sqeakiness issues from a dec 2016 delivery.

Easily fixed in one trip to the Service center.

I am wondering though if anyone has had any out of warranty repairs with FWD that didn’t involve an insurance claim or accidental damage.

Would help figure out how rational our fears are for fwd out of warranty.

Mine have been absolutely flawless for one year already. I’ve not even had one faulty open or close. And in fact, the only issue I sometimes hear on the forums is detection of phantom obstacles. I also had squeaks, but I don’t count that as an issue since it is so slight. My squeak was easily fixed.

3/2017 build. Squeaky hinges, easily fixed. Early on, the right FWD would catch on the upper rear chrome trim when closing while parked on an incline, but that was really just a trim alignment issue, also easily fixed.

When it rains, I've noticed the sensors don't seem to work as well. Twice now, I've pulled into the garage after driving in the rain, opened the rear door, and it would swing wide and hit my wife's car. And the other day, when I parked slightly askew inside the garage (no rain), the front passenger door didn't stop in time and....hit the wife's car again. Hope she doesn't read these forums.

• Funny
Reactions: Helmuth and Cowby
i heard that mid 2017 some new software upgrades helped improve functionality of the FWD (e.g. allowed owner to open fwd on a low setting to draw less attention etc...) and then late 2017, they added some additional sensors inside the speaker grilles to prevent fwd closing improperly on people's heads.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
3/2017 build. Squeaky hinges, easily fixed. Early on, the right FWD would catch on the upper rear chrome trim when closing while parked on an incline, but that was really just a trim alignment issue, also easily fixed.

When it rains, I've noticed the sensors don't seem to work as well. Twice now, I've pulled into the garage after driving in the rain, opened the rear door, and it would swing wide and hit my wife's car. And the other day, when I parked slightly askew inside the garage (no rain), the front passenger door didn't stop in time and....hit the wife's car again. Hope she doesn't read these forums.

There are cases of water intrusion into the FWD sensors at the lower trim seam. Have your SC check it out. BTW, there is no separate sensor for the Front doors, the Sensors (so I was told) in the FWD control the self-presenting front doors as well. So you may have water intrusion causing both to act differently in the rain.

• Informative
Reactions: jgrgnt
My Model X was delivered June of 2017.

I've had a few squeaks/groans which were fixed by Tesla service.

Very rarely, one door will open only part way. And very rarely it will fail to close the first time due to false detection of an obstacle.

The vast majority of the time, they work flawlessly. I still love them!

I have my June '18 delivered X in the SC for leaky passenger FWD when opening in the rain. Drivers side is fine. It drops about a cup of water in the passenger seat, right in my lap to be specific. I was told Tesla fixed this issue with new door seals, which I have (latest and greatest). Had a team of 4 techs look at it and it is what it is, nothing they can do. There is a X in service with similar VIN range that is actually worse than mine. Nothing they can do. Guess I should carry a change of pants in the car on rainy days j/k. I further informed the SC that I noticed the water channel gets pinched near the rear FWD hinge, creating a possible pinch point. Yeah they see that but claim there is no fix in the books.

Other than that, the doors are quiet, smooth, open wide and close straight! I'm picking the car up but not going to settle with this leaking thing. They have it noted on my account and submitted a report of the issue to engineering.