Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are FWDs getting better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my June '18 delivered X in the SC for leaky passenger FWD when opening in the rain. Drivers side is fine. It drops about a cup of water in the passenger seat, right in my lap to be specific. I was told Tesla fixed this issue with new door seals, which I have (latest and greatest). Had a team of 4 techs look at it and it is what it is, nothing they can do. There is a X in service with similar VIN range that is actually worse than mine. Nothing they can do. Guess I should carry a change of pants in the car on rainy days j/k. I further informed the SC that I noticed the water channel gets pinched near the rear FWD hinge, creating a possible pinch point. Yeah they see that but claim there is no fix in the books.

Other than that, the doors are quiet, smooth, open wide and close straight! I'm picking the car up but not going to settle with this leaking thing. They have it noted on my account and submitted a report of the issue to engineering.

Weird that a 6/18 MX would have this issue, mine was among the first 3,000 made and has never leaked. If early MXs don't leak, it seems dubious that they would say it can't be addressed in later models. Be persistent, the squeaky wheel (or leaky door in your case ;)) gets the oil at Tesla.

Reactions: Sonic_78
Luckily, I have not had a single issue. Alignment is more or less perfect. No weird noises or anything. However, I do expect to shell out some $ in the future. Seems like they have too much tech that could go wrong, hope I'm wrong though. I do love them!

Weird that a 6/18 MX would have this issue, mine was among the first 3,000 made and has never leaked. If early MXs don't leak, it seems dubious that they would say it can't be addressed in later models. Be persistent, the squeaky wheel (or leaky door in your case ;)) gets the oil at Tesla.

Eh that's kind of the issue with quality problems not every one is going to express the defect. Could just be poorly installed or a bad batch, or some kind of tolerance stackup.

Last edited:

The SC staff is super nice. I don’t doubt they tried all they could but I’m going to keep nerding out on this because I’m pretty sure there’s a fix somewhere somehow.

@Sonic_78 whats ur VIN range?

Reactions: EV-lutioin
The SC staff is super nice. I don’t doubt they tried all they could but I’m going to keep nerding out on this because I’m pretty sure there’s a fix somewhere somehow.

They may be super nice like mine as well but if I were you I would push this hard. Reason being my friends mid 2017 X developed a leak and it took them 3 months to get the right parts to fix it. While it may not be a problem now it could get worse once fall/ winter arrives. I am expecting my X in a week and I will be sure to tell them at delivery that any leaks that I notice in fall/winter when the weather changes will need to be dealt with immediately.

We had a few really hot days in the Bay Area recently, and my fwd also had the obstacle detected issue. Mobile tech came out and said the backet which holds the sensor became loose, which triggers the obstacle detected. He replaced the bracket and the sensor. No idea what it would have cost me, but it reinforced my decision I would not own this car out of warranty right now or most likely in the future. I might change my opinion if Tesla gets a broad range of 3rd party technicians and parts that would bring the costs significantly down.

On a side note, my favorite car I’ve owned despite some small quibbles; this car is awesome!

We had a few really hot days in the Bay Area recently, and my fwd also had the obstacle detected issue. Mobile tech came out and said the backet which holds the sensor became loose, which triggers the obstacle detected. He replaced the bracket and the sensor. No idea what it would have cost me, but it reinforced my decision I would not own this car out of warranty right now or most likely in the future. I might change my opinion if Tesla gets a broad range of 3rd party technicians and parts that would bring the costs significantly down.

On a side note, my favorite car I’ve owned despite some small quibbles; this car is awesome!

100% agree great car but would not own it without a warranty.

Reactions: EV-lutioin

It’s just a matter of time until the sensors fail again. They’ve replaced mine six times within 6 months including the entire door. It was always the driver side. After 6 months/repairs the passenger side actually started to show the issue. I figured it has to do with the color of the car since it’s always heat related. Ended up getting a different color car lol.

Well now I have similar issue when closing the doors on my 18. FML.

It’s just a matter of time until the sensors fail again. They’ve replaced mine six times within 6 months including the entire door. It was always the driver side. After 6 months/repairs the passenger side actually started to show the issue. I figured it has to do with the color of the car since it’s always heat related. Ended up getting a different color car lol.

Well now I have similar issue when closing the doors on my 18. FML.
What color did you have before and what color do you have now? Are you saying color doesn't matter?

What color did you have before and what color do you have now? Are you saying color doesn't matter?
I had midnight silver and now pearl white. I am not saying the color doesn’t matter as my current issue (closing) is different than what I experienced before (opening). If I get the same problem as before then I can conclude color doesn’t matter.

It’s also too early to tell because my 2016 didn’t have issue until I drove 5000 miles. I just got my 2018 2 months ago.

I've had the heat related issue, got our X back from SC a week ago and so far it's only failed to open once. Passenger side is fine, drivers side sensor was affecting driver door and fwd.

Doesn't bother me much, Tesla does their best to fix issues and we have put 2-3k miles on loaners instead info our X. Only issue is we live 2 hours from SC.

I have an early 2018 X and the FWDs have been fine. No issues opening or closing and no squeaks or rubbing either. I do sometimes get a small dribble of water in the centre 2nd row seat if its raining heavily, but nothing I would worry about. Certainly better than getting the inside of a conventional door soaked in the same scenario!

One thing I did notice though is that the passenger side FWD is slightly out of alignment along the front shutline and so I've scheduled it in for adjustment. It's very minor though and doesn't affect normal use at all.

After 5K miles the car is holding up very well on reliability with no significant issues to resolve on delivery. Only visit I've had to the service centre was to resolve a minor issue with the boot closing sensor, which has been fine ever since.