Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Green Plates a Must for the $8,500 rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our (first) Tesla is to be delivered at the end of July at the Lawrence location in Toronto.

I want to transfer the blue plates (regular plates, not personalized) from the trade-in car onto the new car (sentimental value). Somebody from the Lawrence location insists that we must get green plates in order to get the $ 8,500 rebate from the MTO. We checked with the MTO office in our hometown and were told the green plates are entirely optional. We then checked the MTO website for information about the rebate and there is no mention of mandatory green plates. The website states that the car has to be plated in Ontario and not sold within one year.

Does anybody from Ontario have any recent experience about that?

Truly appreciated,

Christina

Hi Christina

The service centre is not correct. I took delivery March and threw some personalized plates i already had on. The $ 8,500 arrived late May. A few weeks later I switched to green plates, which you might want to consider, just for the summer. With the Panam games and expanded hov lanes for july and august. With the green plates you can use the hov with just 1 person, instead of 3 people, So yes you will get your $, but you will be sitting in gridlock knowing it.

No, you don't need Green Plates to get the rebate. Having said that, when I traded in my car I expected that Tesla would simply transfer the Blue plates (that I had renewed just days earlier) from my trade-in over to the Tesla. Instead they had it ready with a new set of Blue (not Green) plates when I picked it up. I had to take my old plates with me and go in to the MTO myself and get the money I spent renewing them sent back, minus 1 month.

Okay Tesla has clearly "forgotten", because when I picked up my car they ALL came with blue plates. They were out of stock on green plates at MTO. Everyone got the $8500 rebate. My Model S still has blue vanity plates. The rebate has nothing whatsoever to do with green plates.

Okay Tesla has clearly "forgotten", because when I picked up my car they ALL came with blue plates. They were out of stock on green plates at MTO.

... are you sure it was the "out of stock" thing? Or not that problem where they had cars registered as gasoline powered and the MTO computer couldn't issue green plates? When I was in a couple of weeks ago to get my blue/green plate mixup resolved by Tesla, the fellow there mentioned that they were having another similar mix-up with a recent batch of cars.

But yes, I got my $8,500 rebate and my car had regular old blue "number" plates for over 2 years until recently.

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your prompt feedback.

To give you an update, the last email I got from Lawrence states that if I choose to go with blue plates, I “could possibly receive a ticket since regular blue plates are not meant for electric vehicles”.

So I stopped today at the biggest police station on my way home. I asked the question. The police officer blinked hard at me like I had two heads. No way could I be ticketed for that.

I won’t mention any name from Lawrence – he is a nice guy. I’ll sit down with him one day soon and straighten things out – hopefully he won’t misinform any more customers in the future. Especially stubborn women.

"With the green plates you can use the HOV with just 1 person, instead of 3 people."

This is totally NOT true! Be very careful come Pan Am time.
Teslas will only be permitted on the 400 series highways, which is great, and the QEW. (With one person in car).

The Don Valley, Gardiner and Lakeshore are off limits to Teslas with one occupant.

There is a $110.00 fine set forth by the government and 3 demerit points levied against infiltrators.
After the Games are over, yes, you will be able to use your Tesla with one person, on all HOV lanes once again.

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your prompt feedback.

To give you an update, the last email I got from Lawrence states that if I choose to go with blue plates, I “could possibly receive a ticket since regular blue plates are not meant for electric vehicles”.

So I stopped today at the biggest police station on my way home. I asked the question. The police officer blinked hard at me like I had two heads. No way could I be ticketed for that.

I won’t mention any name from Lawrence – he is a nice guy. I’ll sit down with him one day soon and straighten things out – hopefully he won’t misinform any more customers in the future. Especially stubborn women.

Tesla Motors is right, you could be ticketed for that. Yes, many individual police officers may interpret the law differently, but as written you must have an EV with Ontario-issued Green Plates to enjoy the single-occupancy HOV lane privilege.

I wrote the Transport Ministry about this and they responded that you must take the law literally. For example, I have an EV with Special Green Plates and the somewhat universal EV logo. However, since my car is registered in Québec I can be ticketed if I try to use an HOV lane.

Tesla Motors is right, you could be ticketed for that. Yes, many individual police officers may interpret the law differently, but as written you must have an EV with Ontario-issued Green Plates to enjoy the single-occupancy HOV lane privilege.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but if you don't want or need to use the HOV lanes, there is no other need to have green plates. You will not be ticketed for simply having an electric car with blue number plates.