Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are leather seats in a Model X worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

I am considering not getting Leather seats in my planned Model X order due to the price of them. I know that in the Model S the next generation seats are more plushy than the multpattern seats. Do the cloths seats and the leather seats in the Model X feel the same? Or are the leather seats plushier then multipatterns?

Thanks, Sam

What's your definition of "plushy"? The seat design is the same with black multipattern seats or with leather seats on the Model X. In terms of softness of the material, the BMP is an average fabric seat. I've only sat in it once a few months ago, and didn't have any poignant observations one way or the other. Ditto for black leather (both timeline of my memory, and impressions). The ultra white faux leather is absolutely amazing, though. The material itself is smoother and softer than real leather (subjective), is beautiful (again, subjective) and very different than any other automotive seat material I've ever seen. It also cleans up amazingly. I'm actually sad when there's something on the black plastic or the alcantara instead of the white "leather", cause it's just an easy wipe with a semi-damp rag away from being clean on the latter.

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to interior options. First I had already made the decision I wanted cooled seats, HEPA filter and auto-presenting doors. This meant the only two options I had was either leather or vegan white seats with vegan being more expensive. As this is offered as part of the premium package and cloth isn't available. Even if I had not wanted these options I would still ordered leather seats with wood interior. I have always found leather and wood much classier, easier to keep clean, wears better and looks better longer and holds value. From my understanding the white vegan seats are very similar to leather but softer and more expensive.

Therefore by going with cloth seats you then limit your options.

Reactions: WhiteCap
Everyone has their own preference when it comes to interior options. First I had already made the decision I wanted cooled seats, HEPA filter and auto-presenting doors. This meant the only two options I had was either leather or vegan white seats with vegan being more expensive. As this is offered as part of the premium package and cloth isn't available. Even if I had not wanted these options I would still ordered leather seats with wood interior. I have always found leather and wood much classier, easier to keep clean, wears better and looks better longer and holds value. From my understanding the white vegan seats are very similar to leather but softer and more expensive.

Therefore by going with cloth seats you then limit your options.
Did the price of the ultra white seats change? As of today, it's $2,500 for tan leather, black leather, or ultra white, and that's the price I paid for my April order (converted from a -- admittedly late -- reservation).

What's your definition of "plushy"? The seat design is the same with black multipattern seats or with leather seats on the Model X. In terms of softness of the material, the BMP is an average fabric seat. I've only sat in it once a few months ago, and didn't have any poignant observations one way or the other. Ditto for black leather (both timeline of my memory, and impressions). The ultra white faux leather is absolutely amazing, though. The material itself is smoother and softer than real leather (subjective), is beautiful (again, subjective) and very different than any other automotive seat material I've ever seen. It also cleans up amazingly. I'm actually sad when there's something on the black plastic or the alcantara instead of the white "leather", cause it's just an easy wipe with a semi-damp rag away from being clean on the latter.

Thanks so much!

By "plushy" I mean does the seat almost expand in a way like on the Model S next gen. seats? If you don't know what I mean then just compare Next gen seats and the multipattern seats; On the X I dont really see a difference while on the S it clearly pops out much more/ has has more support. Is there any difference like that on the X, my local Tesla store doesn't have any Model X with the multipattern seats so I can't compare for myself.

Thanks again, Sam

Seat shape in the X is the same no matter what seating material you choose.

Having recently been in an older 60 S with seats that felt like a padded park bench, a newish P90D S with the "Next Gen" (aka Sport Seats), and my X I would say the X is somewhere in the middle. I really like how much the next gen S seats wrap around me.

Last edited:
Seat shape in the X is the same no matter what seating material you choose.

Having recently been in an older 60 S with seats that felt like a padded park bench, a newish P90D S with the "Next Gen" (aka Sport Seats), and my X I would say the X is somewhere in the middle. I really like how much the next gen S seats wrap around me.
Thanks! I personally like how the model X seats feel more. Do you have leather or multi pattern seats?

Word of warning for perforated leather seats:
Make sure you get most of the sand out of your kids' (if you have any) shoes before you let them climb around. My 2 year old hid an inordinate amount of sand in his crocs before getting on the car (after playground), and I didn't notice until after he had climbed all over the 3rd row. The sand gets in and plugs up those little perforations, and is nigh impossible to get out, even with a high power vacuum!

Word of warning for perforated leather seats:
Make sure you get most of the sand out of your kids' (if you have any) shoes before you let them climb around. My 2 year old hid an inordinate amount of sand in his crocs before getting on the car (after playground), and I didn't notice until after he had climbed all over the 3rd row. The sand gets in and plugs up those little perforations, and is nigh impossible to get out, even with a high power vacuum!
Thanks!