Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are lifting pucks necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is, why doesn't Tesla air suspension let you raise the car up, put the jack under, and then lower the car (to raise the wheel up off the ground)? If there is a way to do that I have not figured it out but it would be sooooo handy. Essentially what is described here in post #4.
  1. Because quality low-profile jacks fit under BAU Tesla suspension height without any difficulties. Thus this entire complexity is irrelevant.
  2. Models 3 & Y do not have air suspension
  3. Many people do not like air suspension for many reasons. It is also more expensive.

a

Is this bad?

Attachments

• E70D8CF9-5502-4892-B3F0-F0769329687C.jpeg
    E70D8CF9-5502-4892-B3F0-F0769329687C.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 6F97BF2B-F9B0-4F1C-A680-DEBC13C3A929.jpeg
    6F97BF2B-F9B0-4F1C-A680-DEBC13C3A929.jpeg
    734 KB · Views: 85
Is this bad?
Really hard to tell. If it's on the jack point it should be fine. Note that the position of the Jack points changed in the Austin build model Y. I remember seeing an account of someone damaging their pack even with a jack pad likely because the technician put it in the wrong hole. Always verify by crawling under and making sure where it is. Here is how they generally look liked from the manual, but even it mentions the exact position may vary:
1685121821550.png

The hole is where the jack should have been positioned. That is why pucks are safeguards. It looks like the pack may have been bent. IT needs an inspection by Tesla. There is coolant in the pack.
No this is NOT true of the model Y (which is the vehicle in the picture, the poster mistakenly posted in this Model 3 forum). The hole further back is for a clip that attaches the side skirt.
You can see for example in this picture of a jack pad for a Model Y and it's not in that hole further back in the plastic:
image_59270563-a944-4b3d-ac6d-324b27fd93a0_1200x1200.jpg

You can see from this side skirt removal tutorial about 5:50 in, the guy points out the hole on the bottom where the clip goes.

The correct hole for a jack pad or for the jack point (used without the pad) is as pictured in manual. It's an exposed metal hole and it has that sort of triangular shape. I have read this may have changed in the Austin built structural pack (either position changed or hole size different or both) so using a pad designed for the older one on a structural pack may actually damage the pack.

Here's a real world picture how the jack point hole looks:
618zGT52GGS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: adayley